Setting The Wolf Free - Ch 49

Awesome realistic fanart of Ashley by Miranda901k  -->

Thank you so much for your drawing! :D

This chapter jumps around a bit, but I'm pretty sure it won't be confusing :P

Third Person’s POV

Shikamaru heaves a heavy sigh, his face deadpanning and his shoulders slumping low down. He trudges along behind Neji, who has his eyes closed as he walks, mouth twitching as he fights to hold back a smirk. It was obvious to see, Shikamaru was not happy.

“You’re such a drag Hyuga” the Nara grumbles, half lidded eyes staring ahead of him blankly. “You could have at least tried to wake me up…..I wanted to see how Ashley was doing before we left.”

“We already told you how she was doing” is Neji smug reply. “That should be good enough for you.”

“………” Shikamaru’s mouth falls into an annoyed frown, brows furrowing slightly. “It’s a wonder you don’t get punched in the mouth more often.”

“Try it” Neji immediately dares Shikamaru, glancing over his shoulder at the now yawning male. Shikamaru wipes one of his eyes wearily, shaking his head.

“As much as I’d like to” he explains in a monotonous voice, “I can’t be bothered.”

As Neji’s eye twitches slightly, Kyoku releases a soft sigh, glancing at the two males from the corner of her eye. They hadn’t even reached the gate to leave the Grass Village yet, and Neji and Shikamaru were already at each other, though the Nara clearly wasn’t interested in taking their argument any further. Other than Shikaku, Shikamaru’s Father, Kyoku had never met someone as mellow as Shikamaru. Perhaps the Nara’s classic laziness was due to low blood pressure?

As the three Leaf Ninja near the gate to leave the Village, they spot four familiar Ninja, the sight of the youngest making Shikamaru sigh again. He wasn’t in the mood to be fangirled over right now.

Lifting her head, an orange haired Kunoichi spies the approaching Leaf Ninja, causing her to break out into a defiant grin.

“Well, well” she chuckles, “Look who it is. Our dear friends, the Leaf Ninja.”

Neji smirks back at Ita, as Chirin’s eyes suddenly light up, having landed on Shikamaru. As she skips towards him, Shikamaru mentally curses himself. Seems hiding behind Kyoku hadn’t really helped him.

“Shikamaru-kun!” Chirin purrs, peeking behind Kyoku, before latching onto the unhappy Chunin’s arm. “I’ve missed you!”

“Fantastic…” Shikamaru mutters, sweat dropping while he struggles to pull himself free from the black haired girl’s strong grip.

“Condolences for the loss of your Team Leader” Kyoku says softly, bowing her head slightly. Kein smiles at her lightly, as Tien crosses her arms and nods back, sadness flashing through Ita’s blue eyes.

“Thanks” Tien growls, though she really did appreciate the blue haired Jonin’s words. Ita gives Kyoku a sad smile, before shaking her head.

“We won’t forget Irazen” she informs everyone, her mood swiftly lightening. “She was a pain sometimes, but she was a great Team Leader!”

“And besides” Tien scoffs, smirking nastily, “The bitch that killed her is in for some serious punishment. Can’t wait to learn what it will be.”