Setting The Wolf Free - Ch 45

Thanks so much for the amazing amount of votes and comments everyone, I really appreciate it :) I may not always reply to your comments, but I definitely read every single one of them!

Pic of Ashley  --->

Ashley’s POV

I feel Ace trembling below me, his head lowered and his ears flattened back as he eyes off the approaching fireball.

“H-Help me catch this Milady” Ace requests, panting heavily, “But please a-allow me to…..to control the tr-trajectory. I h-have a theory.”

Nodding my head, I raise up my right arm, palm facing the roaring ball of flames flying towards us. Activating my Katsuryoku once again, I stare at the white hot flames and focus my mind on manipulating them, wanting to bend them to my will. Ace’s visible eye once again lights up with a bright glow, signalling that he’s also activated his Katsuryoku.

As the fireball is about to hit us, Ace slides his feet across the ground and begins spinning, the speed of his rotations quickly increasing. The flames immediately follow his lead, our combined Kekkei Genkai causing the fire to spin around us in a white blur.

I can’t help wincing at the intense heat of the flames, the mere seconds it’s near me feeling more like an eternity.

As Ace finishes one more spin, with us now facing the Giant Centipede, I deactivate my Katsuryoku, allowing Ace to take control and fling the fireball back at the monstrous creature.

Ace!” I cry worriedly, as the tired Wolf collapses to the ground beneath me, panting heavily. I immediately slide down from Ace’s back and kneel beside him, absentmindedly stroking the fur on his neck as I cast him a worried look.

He’d been dodging fireballs as best as he could for awhile now, and the ones he couldn’t dodge, we’d had to combine our powers to manipulate and divert their trajectory. He’s clearly exhausted himself and it’s all because I’ve got a broken hand. Now he feels like he has to protect me all by himself, as if I’m unable to fight. Granted it’s impossible for me to manipulate such fast barrages of fire with only one hand, I can still move on my own. He’s such an over protective Guardian.

“J-Just watch the f-fireball Milady!” Ace tells me urgently, chest heaving up and down as he breathes heavily. “We’ll see i-if I was c-correct.…”

Biting back the questions I have for my Guardian, I look up and watch as the white fireball shoots back up towards the screeching Centipede’s head. Upon hearing the approaching attack, the Centipede whirls around, pincers snapping open and closed. Just like the fireball Tanzaki had managed to deflect back to hit the Centipede, this one crashes straight into its immensely strong pincers. Some of the fire makes it past the pincers through, rocketing straight into the Centipede’s mouth and disappearing down its throat.

My brows furrow as the Centipede seems to freeze, the fire burning at its pincers slowly diminishing. What had Ace been getting at? We’d already seen that the Centipede was impervious to damage from fire, so I don’t understand why he’s copying the same attack as bef-

My eyes widen as the Centipede begins shrieking loudly, thrashing its body wildly and stamping its feet. If I wasn’t already kneeling down, I think I would have fallen over from the earth quaking so violently.

“A-As I suspected…” Ace chuckles wearily, closing his aqua eye and laying his head down in my lap. I glance down at him curiously, though I can’t help wincing at the awful noise the Centipede is making. It’s almost like fingernails on a chalkboard, although on a much, much louder scale. Not pleasant for the ears.