105. Crying is weak.

Isabella, Freddie and Henry found themselves tied up around three different trees, all relatively close to each other. They were all almost throwing up as they watched Beta take the face off a walker. Isabella squeezed her eyes shut and Alpha got up close to her face.

"You wonder why we do this," she whispered, "why we hide among them...why we become them..."

Isabella stayed silent and Freddie spoke up. "You're not them. You're not walkers," he spoke as if Alpha and the rest of her group were all stupid, Isabella thought he was stupid for talking in that tone, but Freddie knew what he was doing.

Alpha turned to him, speaking a little more loudly. "Civilization is. The strong adapt. The weak die. Like nature intended."

"So that's what today was," another whisperer said. "You letting the weak die," he walked forward, he was one of the only ones that had his own face showing. There was another woman walking next to him and another person with a mask on. "We don't go back for the lost. Never have. Until your cub got nabbed. We gave up two of theirs for your girl. I don't like that math."

Isabella had a rough idea that it was Alden and Luke who got taken, from what she'd heard off Daryl.

"You know who they are now," Alpha replied. "Where they are, what they have. We know, if there's conflict, we'll win. The trade was worth it. If you have a problem with me as leader, you know what to do."

The man started to look at all the whisperers that gathered around and then slowly turned his head back to Alpha. "I challenge you. You're not fit to lead anymore."

Isabella and Freddie looked at each other. And for once since Isabella had been back, they finally agreed on something; they needed to get the hell out of here.

Alpha started to chuckle. "You think you're the man to replace me? To become the new Alpha?"

Isabella held her breath and tried not to startle as Beta ran up behind the man, grabbing his chin and pulling it upwards before holding a knife to his throat.

"You're changing the rules again," the man said.

"You have the right to challenge my leadership at any time," Alpha began to circle the man. "And I...have the right to defend it," Beta lowered the knife. Alpha quickly turned and grabbed onto the woman. "I know it was you!"

"What are you doing?" She whispered. Isabella found it weird, no matter how scared they were or angry they were, they always whispered.

Alpha started creeping towards her. "I saw you in the woods, plotting with your boyfriend."

The woman shook her head weakly. "What? No, we weren't..."

Alpha moved even closer, putting a finger up to the woman's face. "Oh, yes, you were. Challenge isn't his. It's yours."

The woman and Alpha began to stare each other down, Alpha circling her while the woman moved on her heel. Isabella and Freddie silently agreed on one more thing; this was weird as fuck.

"You led us into danger," the woman seethed. "With those kids here, we're still in danger. Their people already killed many of ours. And where is the payback for that? You haven't failed me. You failed all of us."

Alpha started creeping towards the other whisperers, who all bowed their heads to her. It reminded Isabella and Freddie of being at the sanctuary seven years ago with Carl still by their side. "Have I failed you?" She asked the crowd, nobody replied and she looked at the woman again. "They all follow me by choice,"
she added, holding her arms out. "'Cause I make 'em strong. Because I keep 'em alive. Me."