54. Proud of ya.

Everything was going fine, well, as fine as it could do in a horde of walkers. That was up until Isabella's radio came through statically again.

Rick couldn't hear it over the walkers snarls, only Carl could. As Isabella was walking past the walkers, she could see them watching her and hearing the noise.

Isabella shook away from Carl's hand for a minute and knocked the radio out of her pocket, leaving it on the floor while it crackled. She quickly grabbed back onto Carl's hand. Thank god she didn't lose him, because Rick would've killed her before the walkers even got a chance to.

Rick took led them all to a spot by the pond and started whispering as they all gathered around. "All right, new plan. Flares from a few guns aren't enough. Too many walkers, too spread out. We're not going to the armory. We need our vehicles back at the quarry. All of us drive. We'll need to round 'em up. We leave, we come back."

Everyone else was silent until Jessie nodded and spoke up. "Okay. But Judith...to the quarry and back, I..." she shook her head.

Gabriel seemed to have a random boost of confidence and turned to Rick. "I'll take her. Keep her safe in my church until you all lead the walkers away."

"Can you do this?" Michonne turned around to him protectively.

Gabriel looked scared, but still slightly brave. "I'm supposed to. I have to," He turned back to Rick. "I will."

Carl took Judith out from under his cover and put her under Gabriel's. Jessie quickly spoke up. "Take Sam and Freddie."

"No." Sam replied instantly.

"Yes, Sam, it'll be safer." Jessie put her hands on her sons shoulders.

"I'm not leaving you." Sam replied in the most confident tone he'd ever used.

"Sam..." Jessie mumbled and furrowed her eyebrows in a way that pleaded for her son to listen to her.

"Mom, we're not," Freddie protested. Isabella didn't mind Freddie staying with them, he wasn't the one shouting for his mom every two seconds. "We can keep going."

"Let's just go," Sam mumbled.

Jessie took a moment to consider what her sons were saying and finally nodded. "Okay."

Gabriel turned to Rick one last time. "I'm going to keep her safe."

Rick whispered back. "Thank you."

Gabriel started to walk away, gently shushing Judith and hoping she wouldn't cry. Rick was worried, more worried than he'd ever been. Isabella could tell by the look on his face.

"Bells..." Rick mumbled and held his hand out again for the girl.

This time, Sam held her hand from behind, and Freddie joined behind him. The sun was slowly starting to set as they walked, but there was nothing they could do. There was no where to go, they couldn't even use a light. It wasn't pitch black just yet, though.

They were walking along a patch of grass just next to the road. Rick was trying to lead them through the place with the least walkers, but everywhere was swarmed with the dead creatures.

Isabella could hear Sam weeping from behind her. Then he stopped, and Isabella pulled on Rick's hand to tell him that. Sam dropped Isabella's hand, so she moved closer to Rick. Jessie let go of Freddie's with her right and held onto it with her left, so Carl grabbed onto his other hand, so that Freddie was now inbetween Carl and Jessie in the line. Sam was just stood there, frozen.

Jessie held onto Sam's hand and muttered. "Sam, come on. Come on. Sweetheart, Sam."

"You can do it. You can do it," Rick whispered in a hope to reassure the boy and get him moving again.