49. Again.

Isabella stayed with Freddie for a while, Pete was brought into the infirmary, but Isabella wouldn't let Freddie go near him. She knew what Rick had planned for Pete, she had seen it all before. She just hoped that Freddie could understand, too.

Once Pete had been stitched up, they took him out of the infirmary and to somewhere else. Freddie's cries and sobs had finally turned into smaller sniffles.

A woman called Ashley walked in, she was wearing a long cardigan, and had toffee coloured hair like Enid's. Freddie groaned as he saw the stack of papers in her hands, but Isabella had no idea what was going on.

"C'mon, Miss. We're injured." Freddie pouted.

"Doesn't matter, you guys have still gotta catch up on your work." Ashley smiled and handed them the worksheets, there was math and English.

"What? Work?" Isabella furrowed her eyebrows and looks between the papers and Ashley.

"Yeah, didn't Deanna tell you about the school here?" The teacher tilted her head with a hand on her hip.

"Well...yeah. But I didn't think she was for real." Isabella scoffed, Ashley just responded by laughing and walking out.

Freddie picked up a pen and started to fill out his sheets, but Isabella couldn't do it. This was third grade work, she had only been taught up to first.

She tried the English exercise first, but it was a reading task and she could barely read any of the words.

Freddie furrowed his eyebrows as he watched Isabella squint at the words, she was trying to mouth the sounds but couldn't quite understand it. He was already finished with his English and half-way through his math, but Isabella hadn't even started.

Freddie scoffed and leaned over to her bed, taking the worksheets out of her hand.

"What're you doing?" Isabella asked. "I was getting the hang of that." She huffed and folded her arms.

"No, you weren't. Im helping you." Freddie rolled his eyes and started on the worksheets again.

"Hm, okay. You do you." Isabella raised her eyebrows in amusement and leaned back on the headboard, she didn't even have to do any work.

Isabella smiled as she heard the door open, thinking it was Daryl. But it wasn't, it was just Rosita and Eugene. "Oh, hey."

"Damn, little Bells. I am aware we do not get along but you look mighty disappointed to see us." Eugene took a seat by Tara's bed.

"I ain't, I just want Daryl to come back." Isabella shook her head and sighed.

Freddie handed her back the worksheets and she smiled, they were filled out but she still couldn't read more than ten words from the entire thing.

"He's trying to save more people out there. That's what you like to do, isn't it? Help people?" Rosita prompted and took a seat on a stool around a counter.

Isabella shrugged. "I guess. But I need help sometimes, too."

Rosita nodded understandingly. Isabella was a child, of course she needed her parent to guide her sometimes. None of the group had seen that because Isabella never showed it.

They all went back to resting in silence, the only sounds being Rosita cooking and chopping things up and Freddie scribbling his pen against the paper. Even Eugene started to fall asleep.

The door clicked open again and in came Abraham with two bunches of flowers. He walked over to Tara and put one of them down on her bedside table, then put the others on Isabella's bedside table and gave her hair a little ruffle with a smile. Isabella was glad to have Abraham around, no matter who else was around or not, Abraham always was.