19. Two pretty good artists.

Rick, Michonne and Carl had all gone on a run really early in the morning, usually, Isabella would be pestering to go, but not this time. She wanted to stay with Daryl and Judith.

When Isabella woke up that morning, she went straight out of her cell and tapped Daryl's shoulder, who was sleeping on the perch still.

"Daryl." She pestered, but he just grunted and used his hand to cover his face.

"Daryl." She said more loudly this time, and Beth looked down from where she was rocking Judith next to her crib.

"Shh!" Beth told her, making Isabella scrunch her face up in embarrasment.

"Sorry!" Isabella whisper-shouted back. Then, she turned back and saw that Daryl was still asleep so she poked his shoulder, repeating his name over and over again.

"Daryl. Daryl. Daryl. Daryl-"

"What?" He groaned, clearly tired.

"Wanna color with me?" She asked, a big smile spread across her face.

"You woke me up to ask-" He began, but rubbed his eyes and sighed. "Sure."

"Yay! Thank you!" She said, a little more loudly but not too loud.

Daryl nodded and sat up, adjusting his vest. Just as Daryl began to stand up, there was a chuckle from the cafeteria area.

"You've gone soft, lil' bro." Merle laughed.

"Shut up." Daryl grumbled, clearly not in the mood for any of Merle's bullshit.

"Colorin' with lil' girls...don't sound like my brother." Merle added.

"Yeah, well, I changed. I ain't like you no more." Daryl told him firmly, putting his hand on Isabella's back and guiding her to her cell, where she sat on the floor crisscross and he sat on the bed, looking down at her.

"Whatcha wanna color?" Daryl asked, rubbing his eyes as he still tried to wake up.

"Hmm, can we make that cow pink?" Isabella asked while she held up a blank picture of a cow from a coloring book that Maggie had found on a supply run.

"Sure, whatever you want." Daryl said, patting the spot next to him on the bed, to which Isabella climbed up and grabbed her pink pencil from the floor.

"You wanna start?" Isabella asked, but Daryl shook his head and watched her colour in one of the cow prints. "I always wanted to live on a farm, but da-" she paused. "John always said we can't afford it. I wanted a cow, and a horse. I would've died to have a horse."

When she noticed that Daryl wasn't responding she looked up at him. "Sorry..." she mumbled.

"What for?" Daryl said, furrowing his eyebrows.

"John always said I talk too much, that I ramble on sometimes." Isabella added, finishing the cow print and handing the paper and pencil to Daryl.

Daryl shook his head as he began to color in a different spot on the cow. "Nah, you don't ever gotta say sorry. Not to me, not to any of us. We're you're family, remember?"

Isabella smiled and nodded. "Yeah..thanks."

Once the two had finished the coloring of the cow and Daryl had stuck it to Isabella's wall with two pieces of tape.

"Damn, we make two pretty good artists." Daryl chuckled while he admired the pairs work, earning a giggle from Isabella.

Later in the day, Michonne, Rick and Carl all returned, Rick carrying an orange backpack that none of them had seen before and he put it down, walking over to Beth and putting a hand on Judith's head, making sure she was okay.

"We ran into an old friend." Rick said before continuing. "He saved me, at the start. Now, I've been thinking. We can make a deal with the Governor, nobody has to get hurt."

There was some chatter, Glenn and Maggie hated the idea, but others thought it might be good to have civilisation.

"Can I come with you?" Isabella asked. "He's my uncle, he might listen to me." She hated the Governor for what he did to her, Glenn and Maggie, but she would never wish for someone to die.

Rick sighed, putting his pointer finger and thumb on the bridge of his nose. "Bells, I can't take you. It's dangerous and we don't know who he's gonna show up with."

Isabella sighed and looked down, Daryl put a hand on her shoulder and looked up at Rick. "I'll come with ya, back you up."

Rick nodded, immediately accepting Daryl as his right-hand man and looked around.

"I can backup." Hershel said.

"Daddy, you don't have to..." Beth looked over at her father.

"I might aswell make myself useful, I'll be alright." Hershel reassured his daughter.

Rick nodded and Beth and Maggie. "I'll keep him safe, won't put him up to any big jobs."

The Greene sisters turned and gave eachother a look. Maggie saying okay but Beth still being unsure, nonetheless, they both gave a nod.

The three men started to pack up their bags and weapons, Daryl leaning against the stairs and he whistled, getting Isabella's attention and nodded for her to come over, so she went over and put her chin up on the railing.

"Yeah?" She asked him, watching as he sorted his boots and shoved things into his bag.

"You gonna listen to Glenn and Maggie while I'm gone?" Daryl confirmed, to which Isabella nodded.

"Good, I won't be long. Anythin' goes down, I'll let you know first, promise." Daryl told the young girl who just nodded again.

"Try and keep your distance from Merle, don't think he likes ya too much." Daryl added while he slung his crossbow over his shoulder.

"I don't care, I don't like him either." Isabella smirked.

Daryl scoffed a laugh and ruffled her hair. "C'ya later."

"See ya." Isabella replied, waving as he went out the door, Hershel and Rick following behind.

————————————————————————

sorry for the short chapter! I'm working on another but the eps don't have many prison scenes rn sorry!

please vote and comment! they give me motivation + let me know what you thought of the chapter!!! :D