20. A way out.

Isabella sat in the cells area, she was gonna stay in the cafeteria area but Daryl had told her to stay away from Merle, so she sat on one of the concrete benches again.

She worried about Daryl, Rick and Hershel. Isabella knew all too well what her uncle was capable of, if he wanted to kill them, he'd do it, and probably throw their decapitated heads on the prisons doorstep.

"Hey." Carl sat down next to her.

"Oh, hi." She replied a little surprised that he was talking to her.

"When's your birthday?" Carl asked abruptly.

"May 3rd, why?" Isabella furrowed her eyebrows.

"So I know when to get you a present, duh." Carl scoffed.

"We don't have a calendar." The girl pointed out, her tone of voice firm as she stated the obvious.

"Yeah, well, you just get a feeling on your birthday, you know?" Carl said.

"No?" Isabella asked, confused.

"What? You never got that really exciting feeling when it was your birthday and everyone was coming over to have a party-" Carl began, then his face fell when he thought about Isabella's childhood, how her dad hurt her and she probably never had a birthday party. "Oh."

Isabella felt a bit sad, knowing Carl got things that she never got to have. But, she was happy for him, at least someone had a happy childhood, so she forced a smile. "It's okay."

Carl nodded and began to walk away. "Oh by the way, if we had been friends before all this, i totally would've invited you to my birthday."

Isabella actually smiled this time, the thought of her childhood being different, being redone all over again with this family was one that always brought her joy. "Thanks."

The rest of the group was in the eating area, getting their guns ready, so Isabella got up and watched them, seeing Merle watching them from the other side of the room set an awful feeling in her stomach.

"Carl, Bells, c'mere." Glenn gestured for the kids to go to him. He was in charge while Rick and Daryl were away, Isabella liked when Glenn was in charge since he was always so nice to her.

"You stash these at the loading dock. All right?" Glenn said, handing a box of ammunition to each of them.

Glenn was still ordering people as Isabella and Carl made their way to the the other side of the table.

"Beth, put more up on the catwalk. If anyone gets pinned down, we need to make sure that they have plenty of ammo." Glenn stated, picking up his supplies. "I'll go work on the cage outside."

"What we should be doing is loadin, some of this firepower in a truck and payin' a visit to the Governor. We know where he is right now." Merle spoke up, causing a chain reaction of everyone rolling their eyes.

"Are you suggesting that we just go in and kill him?" Glenn spoke to Merle in a no bullshit tone.

"Yeah, I am." Merle snapped back.

"We can't just go around killing people. We told Rick and Daryl we'd stay here. We can't mess up the plan." Isabella told him as if it was obvious.

"I've changed my mind, sweetheart. Bein' on the sideline with my brother out there...ain't sittin' right with me." Merle gritted his teeth.