64

Amelia POV:
"Retiring... like what? I'm confused what's brought this on?" I say as I'm really confused. He shrugs "I've been thinking about it, I'm 32, like 33 this year. I've played for years, I'll still play for Liverpool but there is a lot of talent in the younger ones. This way I can watch my family grow, we will still attend every match and see all of them as these are our family and I love each and every one of them lads." I squeeze his hand "if you think this is the right decision then you've got my whole support. I think you should speak to dad about it." He nods.
-The next day-
Jordan POV:
Today is game day, my conversation with Amelia is weighing heavily on my mind. I decide to push it to the back and talk to Gareth after the match. Kick off is midday so we'll be back at camp by about 5. We've got a week and half left here and honestly I know I'd rather make the decision of when to call it time rather than not be picked. I want to enjoy these games as a family.
-5pm-
We've got back to SGP, we won 2-0, everyone is thrilled and excited. I see Gareth and say "Gareth, can I have a word in private please?" He looks concerned "Family or football related?" I look and say "football related." He smiles "come to my office Jordan." I nod and follow him. We sit down and my eyes are watering up, he says "talk to me Jordan what's wrong?" I take a deep breath and say "I am so sorry Gareth, I've been thinking and I want to retire from international team." His eyes widen in shock but he smiles "Well I wasn't expecting that. Can I ask why this is?" I shrug "I'm 33 this year, the squad is full of younger talent, also for my family. I want to watch the little ones grow, spend time with Ames. I don't think we could ever cut tie's completely and quite honestly when you're all here we probably will be half the time. But I honestly think it's my time." He smiles and hugs me "as your manager I am really gutted about this decision, but as your father-in-law, I'm proud of you and i understand completely. Your all still travelling with us to World Cup right?" I nod "of course, like I said, you won't get rid of us that easily" I giggle and he says "why don't you help out with coaching when you come. I mean it won't be an employed job but if I have you classed as a voluntary one, you all get to stay with the team when we travel or come here. So you can still all come when you want to." I nod "yeah and I'd love to actually help put coaching." He takes a deep breath and says "I'll sort the paperwork to make this your last camp as a player, when you telling the boys?" I shrug "I really don't know."
I'm back downstairs, I told Amelia all about the conversation and she's thrilled we can still come here and travel with them. I decided I'm going to tell the boys tonight incase anything gets leaked.
We're all in the main room and I say "lads can I have your attention please" they all look at me and I take a deep breath. "Please bare with me as this isn't easy. I wanted you to hear this from me, unfortunately this will be my last time with you as a teammate and playing on the field for England. I've taken the decision to retire from international football" they all gasp in shock, I see tears fall from Amelia's eyes. "Why lad?" James asks and I shrug "this team is filled with lots of talent, especially in my position who are younger, I need to focus on my family. I'll still be playing against you all at Liverpool, and it's being arranged that we will travel with you to the World Cup. I'm going to be helping out with the coaching. I mean you'll still see all of us when the England games are on, as Gareth's sorting out that we can be classed as part of the team" they all run to hug me and I let the tears fall. Amelia gets up and mouths "I need 5 minutes" I nod and watch her walk outside. Dec and James hug me, I say "boys go outside to Amelia please. I think she needs you boys." They nod and head outside as the others ask me questions and tell me they understand.
Amelia POV:
I'm sitting outside, I let the tears out. Soon I feel 2 sets of arms around me. "Woah, why the tears?" James says and I shrug, "I'm proud of him I am, but I'm worried he's going to regret it. Also I'm going to get all the blame." They both hug me and Dec says "I don't think he's going to regret this decision. And we all know it's not your fault and people online well they don't actually matter do they. Anyway, you still get to see us as you're going to be coming along to games and camp aren't you?" I smile "of course just try and stop me. I'd miss you all too much." They both hug me and we head back inside.
-1 week later-
Everyone is extra emotional today as it's Jordan's last match with England. He's decided to announce it this morning.
Instagram

JHendo: This is a post I've re-written multiple times this morning

JHendo: This is a post I've re-written multiple times this morning. I am sad to announce todays match with England will be my last.
I am officially retiring from international football. I will still play for Liverpool but just not England. It has been a pleasure and honour each time I wear this kit. I love each and every one of these boys with my whole heart. I have no doubt they will go on to do magical things in the World Cup and I'll be there every step of the way. These are my family. In this team there is lots of amazing talent who will shine.
I've made this decision based on a lot of factors, the main one being I know it's my time, people won't understand but footballers will.
These boys won't get rid of me too easy, I'll still be there at the World Cup and even help out at camp with coaching.
I will forever be grateful and honoured for the opportunity.
75k likes
A_Henderson: So proud of you🥰 These boys won't get rid of us that easily😜 I love you always and forever❤️
EnglandFC: We've loved having you Jordan. We wouldn't ever want to get rid of you all that easily. Thank you for your dedication. We wish you luck in the future🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿❤️
Madders_J: Still doesn't feel real reading this😢 but I wish you the absolute best mate. You've done your country proud and we all love you. Make sure you're at every game❤️
HarryK: Been an hour being your captain🥰 Family always❤️
Masonmount: Gonna miss you Hendo❤️
Jackgrealish: Been an honour to play alongside you❤️ Proud of you brother❤️
GSouthgate: Proud of you Jordan🙌🏼You've been a pleasure to lead, it's now time to see this through  as family❤️
KWalker: It's been a pleasure to play on the pitch with you❤️ Pleased we can still all play against you in the league games❤️
BenChilwell: Always proud of you❤️
15k more comments

Jordan's comments filled up with nice words from all the players and staff, plus ex players. Everyone's been so supportive. He's going to make this a match to remember.