Kochos

Long ago, during the Taisho Period lived a beautiful peaceful family with three girls and two loving parents. They were well-known in their town for their pharmaceutical services and expertise along with their butterfly accessories. It was like a signature mark for them.

They lived happily in their home filled with laughter and smiles as they helped people with their healing as much as they could.

But their happiness was taken away one unfortunate day.

The parents were slaughtered in front of the three girls by a vile inhuman monster just as he feasted upon their flesh. The girls silently cried, hugging each other when they witnessed their comfy home turn red with their parent's blood.

Right when they were next, they were luckily saved... but their happiness was not.

The three girls promised to protect each other and prevent other people from experiencing the same loss as them by joining the organization that vowed to kill those very beings.

They trained every single day, developed their own breathing, and became well-respected members of the organization as they killed any of the vile creatures that dare disrupt the peace of others.

They saved many and even let a group of girls live with them in the household as they helped heal the injured.

However, the Kocho bloodline was ending.

The oldest daughter was killed by a psychotic monster on duty.

The second daughter decided to stay unmarried and was unwilling to start a family due to wanting to avenge her sister. She was successful, but at the cost of her life.

The youngest daughter had adopted a young boy she saved on her job and raised him as her own. She and her fiance planned to increase their family and have some of their own. Unfortunately, she too had died with many of her comrades.

The child grew up with his adopted aunt who cherished him like her own for he was the only remaining Kocho family she had left.

He grew up, married, extended the Kocho name, and brought honor to his adopted mother and aunts as he swore to help as many people as he could, like his family. And he did.

Present

Everyone knew the loving Kocho Family. The family that's full of important experts. The family with the beautiful raven hair. The family with compassionate members. The family with the famous eye-closed smile. They were known as the Butterfly Clan, a name given to them by nearing citizens.

They were popular amongst the city for they were the greatest medics to arise. Those in the Kocho family became doctors, nurses, surgeons, pharmacists, orthodontists, ERs, radiologists... well you get the point. They're a family that produced medical professions.

However, there were some who decided to pursue a different path. Some became teachers, engineers, computer techs, lawyers, and one even became a taste tester!

But that is beside the point. Let us move onto the main family that consists of three beautiful female heirs, one of them being the youngest, Mayumi Kocho.

Mayumi is well-known by her peers for being kind, cute, smart, and overall charming. She had long black hair that reached past her shoulders and bright pretty fuschia eyes. She was very popular in her school because of how much she resembled her oldest sister and the bows she and her two sisters wore on their hair.

They wore them every day to school, not caring about some of the judgmental looks sent their way. Mayumi could care less about them.

She was raised to not give a damn about anyone's thoughts by her second oldest sister, Shion Kocho. Shion taught the youngest to just smile and wave, showing how irrelevant their words are to the Kochos. She showed her how to be poise and honest, two important qualities in the sisters.

Shion also taught her the power of teasing. And oh my, were they able to annoy people.

Then there's Kanako Kocho. She's the sweetest of them all. Mayumi and Shion both looked up to her for affection and encouragement. And she looked to them for comfort and love. She showed them how to care for others and how to be observant of those around them.

Most importantly, Kanako taught the youngest empathy, kindness, and overall forgiveness, something Mayumi had difficulty with but was able to accomplish when she met someone.

When Mayumi was five, she had a weird way of breathing and her steps were always quiet. It worried her family so they did a couple of tests on her to see if there was something wrong with her lungs or neighboring organs, but her results came back normal and healthy. It confused the family, but they saw it as a special case since they saw archives of this type of breathing from other doctors back in the eras. So they didn't worry much.

There were also times she talked about how her sisters were heroes who saved people from demons at night. She always talked about how she befriended a boy who had a demon sister, and how the sisters saved a girl and took her into the family.

The sisters believed she was making up stories to entertain them and passed it off as childlike behavior. As time went by, Mayumi also believed that what she saw were just normal dreams, but she found out that wasn't true. She saw their past lives and how they died by a demon with rainbow eyes.

At age 10, Mayumi met him.

She dreamt about him, but he wasn't really the same demon her ancestors fought. He was a little more... understanding. He came to her, telling her how he was punished by being reincarnated as a bug, to be killed many times by humans, and come back as an insect again.

Now, he had to serve the youngest, for she was the more proper candidate for him and for her past's suffering.

Kanako, the reincarnation of Kanae wasn't chosen because of her naive nature. She was too nice that she could be taken advantage of by the demon.

Shion, the reincarnation of Shinobu was out of the picture. She despised the demon so much and couldn't forgive him that if she was put in charge of him, her mental health would have decreased and killed her.

So it was up to Mayumi, the reincarnation of Masami. Though Mayumi would have liked not to be anywhere near him, she accepted the demon nonetheless as a servant.

The demon lets her use his demon blood art whenever she orders him to, kind of like borrowing it, but she rarely asked for it because it wasn't really needed. If she did use it, it drained her.

Since she's still human, the abilities have some drawbacks for her. It would either put her in a deep sleep where nothing can wake her body up or cause hypothermia. However, her body has been getting used to the cold, so her body produces heat much faster than normal humans. That is due to the demon.

The drawbacks of using the demon's ability also came out randomly so she would avoid using some of them. She didn't see the use for them at times so instead, the demon would wield them for her when he felt that she was threatened by anything or anyone.

For example, when Mayumi was walking back home from a study session, she was being followed by a stranger. She knew and stayed alerted the moment she heard his footsteps and was ready to defend herself with some of the skills she learned from her close friend, Tojuro in his kendo club.

But before the stranger could make their move, the demon used his icicles to impale the follower but luckily, Mayumi stopped it right in time and knocked out the man who was following her. The demon was warned of doing something too drastic and had to remember to keep the demon art ability on the down-low.

Now, Mayumi lives normally as possible with her loving parents, wonderful sisters, and a warming house. She attends a prestigious all girl's school, Sekirei Women's Academy, and is working her way into becoming a nurse with her demon companion like-servant, Douma who she sometimes bullies.

However, her normal life was on hiatus one night.