BURGUNDY: Episode 4.9

Sleepily blinking, Mayumi slowly sat up from the bed, intently staring at the wall in front of her in an attempt to not fall back asleep. But her body started weighing back and forth, making her slowly close her eyes.

As her body leaned forward, she jolted back awake, stopping her from falling back into a trance. Today was the day they might stop Jamil so the girl had to prepare herself.

Getting out of bed, Mayumi yawned and made her way to the bathroom to take a quick shower and freshen up. Opening the door, the ravenette stepped inside and was about to turn on the showerhead, but instead, she jumped back in panic and was a bit horrified at the sight she just witnessed.

Right in front of her was a naked human Obanai laying on the bathtub with a glare.

"Next time, knock!"

Mayumi gaped at Obanai, ignoring his glare and yelling. She was in complete shock. Not because he was naked, but because he was real. Like a real human being! Flesh and bones! He wasn't a snake and she didn't hear his voice through her head. She really heard him speak! And he's breathing! He isn't dead...

"Y-You're here...for real..." Mayumi quietly whispered, tears sprouting from her eyes as she stared at Obanai's heterochromia eyes.

Feeling all her welled-up emotions from that dream of the Hashiras all alive, feeling homesick, missing her sister's butterflies, and losing connection with Douma, Mayumi finally broke down.

Her knees buckled and she fell onto the floor, bringing her hands to her face as she silently wept, hoping that she wasn't dreaming.

The last time she saw Obanai was many years ago and it was a painful memory. In present-day Japan, he was living happily with his pink-green-haired wife and their children that she would visit, making her more homesick than she already was.

Obanai's eyes softened, understanding what Mayumi was feeling. The last memory he held of her was hearing her slow dying breaths.

"...I'm sorry..." She cried, apologizing for her tears.

Stepping out of the bathtub, the man wrapped a towel around his torso and kneeled in front of the ravenette, knowing how much she's been working. "Don't apologize. You've done enough. Let it out." 

And so she did. Mayumi let her problems out through tears in front of Obanai who held her hand, rubbing small circles on her palm to let her know he wasn't going anywhere.

The only sounds were Mayumi's crying and Obanai's soothing words.

Outside the bathroom door stood Jade, listening to the girl's weeping and what he thought was Obanai the snake comforting her. 

The twin wore a frown, a bit guilty that he wasn't able to comfort the ravenette in time with all the burdens she's been holding. He noticed a bit of it but didn't really do anything. He just didn't really know how to properly do so since he was more on the menacing side with all the tormenting he inflicts on others.

Holding his chin in thought, Jade brainstormed ways to lift the girl's mood. He was aware of the girl's adoration of stickers so he had to get his hands on some (That didn't contain Enmu's blood art). Maybe even taking her out to try new tea drinks could help.

"What else?" He wondered to himself, mentally noting ideas to help the girl.

Inside the bathroom, Mayumi rubbed her eyes and washed her face with water, clearing any tear stains from her face. Obanai put on his striped haori but kept the towel wrapped around him since he had no other clothing.

"Were you planning on telling me about this?"

"It wasn't important." Obanai shrugged.

Mayumi just sighed, gently massaging her face. Glancing at Obanai, she finally noticed his lack of clothing. Taking out Kanae's butterfly from her hidden spot, she looked at the butterfly and then at the towel wrapped around the man's torso.