Part 10

Year 5: End of an Era

***

The team sits there, their nerves kicking in moments before the game. 

Athena sat there, with Katie and Angelina- although she finds herself not listening to anything their saying. She was never this nervous for a match before, but this was it- their final one, they against Slytherin just like it should be. 

It's also Wood's final match at Hogwarts, making it his last one with them, which means it's all the most important. Athena couldn't imagine what Quidditch was going to be like without Wood, and she didn't want to. 

Oliver clears his throat, "Listen, guys, you know I'm not one for the emotional stuff." He says, his voice cracking slightly, "But I just wanted to say that I couldn't have asked for a better team all these years. I know it's been hard waking up early, and that I've been putting you guys through a lot- but it's all worth it because we're here now. And truly, thank you, for everything." He says, a tear slipping down his face.

She was really going to miss the guy, Athena and Oliver had met back in Athena's first year- making it his third. He'd always been an older brother figure for her, scaring away the boys she didn't have an interest in. It truly was going to be weird not having him around next year, and before Athena could even notice, tears were slipping down her face.

The girl lets out a sobbing chuckle, nudging the Captain's team, "Aww, Wood's getting sappy!" She teases. "Everyone bring it in!" Fred and George exclaim, pulling everyone into one big group hug. 

However, the team's sweet moment doesn't last for long as Marcus Flint- the Slytherin Captain ruins the moment. 

"Ready to lose, Wood?" He sneers, making Angelina let out a laugh, "Didn't you have to repeat your seventh year, Flint?" She asks, her voice bitter. The boy mumbles something under his breath aggressively, before heading back to his team- making Angelina know she got the best of him. 

Harry looks at Athena wide-eyed, "Wait? You have to repeat a year at Hogwarts if you fail?" He asks, Athena points a figure at her brother, "Yes, which is an even bigger reason for you to pay attention in class!" She scolds. 

***

"Gryffindor wins! 230 to 20, against Slytherin!" Lee exclaims, "I knew you guys could do it! Slytherin's nothing but cheating scum!" He continues, jumping up and down excitedly. No one could contain their excitement, not even Professor McGonagall- who had been scolding Lee for his favoritism towards Gryffindor could contain her excitement. 

They had done it, they'd beaten Slytherin, who had tried to cheat their way through the finals, and it came back to bite them in the ass. Athena throws herself on her fellow chasers, "We did it, guys! We won!" She exclaims happily, "I know! Look at Wood, he's so happy, I honestly thought he'd kiss Harry." Katie says, making Athena squirm at the idea of her figurative older brother kissing her younger one. 

She eventually parts ways from the two, finding Fred and George who were talking animatedly with Lee. She smiles at the sight of Fred- him in his Quidditch Jersey, covered in mud, his hair stuck to his face yet he's sporting the widest grin of all, his eyes light up with excitement making her heart melt. 

Athena pulls the two of them into a hug, "You guys did so well!" She squeals, her excitement making the two boys chuckle, "You did too Athena, the way you fought off Pucey was incredible!" Fred gushes, his compliment making Athena blush. 

The two boys then proceed to put Harry on their shoulders, as he holds the Quidditch cup, Athena stares in awe as she sees the sight of it- still not having it feel real. The crimson and gold colors surround her, and she smiles knowing nothing could bring them down at the moment. 

She looks over at Wood, who seemed to be over the moon, and tackles him into a hug. He's tense at first- but immediately relaxes when he realizes it's Athena hugging him. "I'm really going to miss you, Ollie," She says into his shoulder, upset that in a couple of months the boy would be gone. "I'm going to miss you too Athena," He says back, wrapping an arm around her shoulder as they pull away. 

"I better be one of the first people you owl when you go professional," She says, her comment making the boy grin from ear to ear, "You really think I'll be able to?" He asks, his eyes going wide with hope and excitement. 

She smiles at the boy, wrapping an arm around his waist and pulling him closer to her, "I know so," She says, the two headings back into the celebration. 

I wrap my arm around his waist and pull him closer to me, "Of course Ollie," I say,  as we head back into the celebration. 

***

The spirits were high in the Gryffindor common room, everyone had just finished celebrating the after-party to their win, and it was wonderful. Fred and George had gotten food from the Kitchens, with the help of the house-elves, and Hermione had shown everyone muggle music. Athena was more than surprised to see that Fred and George enjoyed rock, but it was also interesting to see what everyone else was into. They also played a couple of games, like truth or dare, and exploding snaps- courtesy to Lee. 

Athena was currently sprawled across the couch, minutes away from falling asleep. 

The girl loved parties, but when Athena Marlene Potter parties- she parties hard. A voice behind her chuckles, making her turn around lazily, revealing Fred who was grinning cheekily at her, "You alright there, Potter?" Fred teases, "I'm doing just fine, Weasley." She mumbles back, her face making contact with the pillow. 

"Okay, the stand-up." He says, folding his arms. "Pfft, easy!" She exclaims, her words slurred. Athena jolts up from the couch, only to fall straight back down on the floor. "Did you drink?" Fred asks, noticing the girl's behavior mimicked someone who's drunk. 

Athena looks up at the boy baffled, "No! I only had a shot of fire whiskey," She says. Although this revelation seemed to be the funniest thing to Fred, as he was now on the floor practically peeing himself from laughter. "Athena! Only one? How are you such a mess?!" He exclaims between laughs. 

The girl groans, "Freddie! It's not funny, I'm very tired." She pouts, making herself comfortable on the floor as she had no strength to get up to her dorm.

However, Fred had other plans, he slipped his hands under her knees- lifting her up bridal style and putting her on the couch, as he couldn't get up to the girl's dorm without it turning into slides. He places a blanket over Athena, "It's alright love, go to sleep." He says softly, trying not to disturb anyone. 

The boy tries to walk away, but Athena grabs his wrist.

"Freddie?" She calls out, making the boy look at her. 

"Can you sleep with me? I don't like sleeping alone..." She mumbles shyly, afraid that he'd say no, but then again, she wouldn't remember this tomorrow. 

A wide dorky grin appears on Fred's face, swallowing the butterflies going down his stomach, he opens his mouth, "Sure, Athena." He says, slipping under the blanket and draping an arm around the girl's waist as the two go to sleep with a smile on their faces. 

***

A/N: I got emotional writing Oliver's goodbye, I dunno why lmao