Part 4

Year 5: Rising Jealousy

***

As Athena Potter sat there, chatting happily to her friends about her conversation with Professor Lupin the previous night, Cedric, Isabella, and Elliot looked at one another cautiously, carefully trying to find the right words, so they wouldn't upset their friend. 

"Athena, that's a little odd..." Isabella says calmly, "How was it weird! He was just trying to be sweet." Athena protests, not understanding her friends. Elliot snorts at the two girls, "Yeah, or he's trying to get into your pants." He says, wiggling his eyebrows teasingly, which causes Athena to grab the book nearest to her, and smack the boy over the head, "Elliot! That's disgusting, he's literally in his 30's!" She shouts, her voice a bit too loud. 

"Quiet, Ms. Potter," Madame Pince scolds, causing Athena to look at the lady sheepishly, "Sorry," She apologizes, huffing and turning back to her three friends. 

"You guys are being dramatic, He was friends with my parents and was probably happy he has a connection to them again. If I had grown up in the wizarding world he would probably be like my Uncle right now." She says. 

The three of them share a look, a look that Athen had gotten familiar with every time she'd brought up her parents, the ''okay let's be careful about what we say because one wrong move and Athena might blow' look. 

Isabella places her hand over the Gryffindor's, "We know, we don't mean anything by what we're saying, and we definitely don't think what Elliot's thinking," She says, sending a glare to Elliot as she speaks, in which Elliot rolls his eyes back, "But we want to be wary, it's a little suspicious." She continues. 

Athena then glances at Cedric, who'd been dissociated from the conversation since the start. He'd been eyeing a Ravenclaw girl since the start, so in order to get his attention, Athena hits the boy on the arm, causing him to wince. 

"Ouch! What was that for!"--- "See Athena, you have been getting violent!" Elliot exclaims, still rubbing the back of his head from when the girl had smacked it. 

"Why were you practically undressing that girl with your eyes," Athena asks, avoiding Elliot's remark- which she thought wasn't true, she'd always been violent. 

He looks up at the girl and scoffs, "I was not! I was just- admiring her," All of a sudden, Isabella boosts out of her seat, "Erm- I just remembered I told Hermione I would help her with Charms, bye!" She exclaims, dashing out of the library before anyone gets the chance to speak.

Athena leans into Elliot's side, "Didn't Hermione, Harry, and Ron say they had potions when we ran into them?" She asks, "Yeah- that was weird." He responds, unsure of his friend's unusual behavior, especially with Cedric checking out girls being a common thing. 

Athena nods in agreement, "Very." 

***

Athena curls up into George's lap the second she arrives in the common room, not taking long before she notices that everyone is dead silent, shifting uncomfortably every once in a while. "Why is everyone being so weird?" She whispers, looking up at the Weasley with a confused look on her face. 

"Well you see,  ickle Ronniekins and Hermione barged into the common room mid-fight- it was nasty, I'm not going to lie. I've never seen Ron so mad- except for that one time with the spider..." Athena glares at the boy, getting him back on track, "Anyways- like I said it was nasty. Some tears were spilled and everyone has been sort of silent since."

Athena sighs, knowing exactly what George was talking about. 

Ron and Hermione had been fighting about Scabbers and Crookshanks since before school had even started. From what Athena knew, they both have attachments to their pets, but from what Harry had told her, it'd taken a serious toll on their friendship. 

"They should really talk it out," She says quietly, her eyes closing slowly as she feels herself fall asleep. 

As Athena was falling asleep, Fred was entering the common room. He had just wrapped up a conversation with Oliver Wood about what Quidditch tryouts would look like, and he felt anger surge through his veins when he finds his brother cuddled up with the girl he likes. 

"Ahem, George can I speak to you?" 

Athena recognizes the voice to be Fred's, groaning slightly as she gets off of George's lap, her face falling into the pillow as he stands up.

She opens an eye and notices Fred be visibly fuming, his eyes narrowed- filled with darkness and anger, something that was rare for the usually playful twin. "You alright, Freddie?" She asks, the nickname somehow causing butterflies to appear in his stomach even throughout the anger. 

"Just peachy," He responds bitterly, before yanking his brother and taking him up to the dormitory- leaving Athena confused. 

***

Fred slams their door angrily, facing his brother with a fuming face, "I'm about two seconds away from strangling you!" He shouts, now that the two were in private. "What?" George asks, confusion spread across his face, "You were cuddled with Athena!" He exclaims. 

However, much to Fred's surprise, George begins to break out into laughter. 

"I- cuddled, Fred! She's like my sister!" He exclaims, refraining himself from laughing at Fred once again. 

Fred pauses for a moment, thinking back to what he had seen in the common room, realizing that he might have overexaggerated how close their faces were. Fred scratches his neck awkwardly, realizing that there was nothing going on between the two. 

"Erm- right, sorry..." He apologizes sheepishly, looking at his feet. George laughs, "Come on, you seriously think I'd go for her! You've fancied her, for like, ever!" He exclaims, the last word coming out of his mouth exaggerated. 

Fred folds his arms defensively, "It hasn't been that long," although, on the inside, he knew he didn't sound very convincing. George snorts at his twin brother, "Oh really? You've been in love with her ever since you saw Charlie helping her with homework in our second year." 

Fred's face flushes pink, his mind wondering whether he'd always made his feelings for Athena obvious. "That's not true!" He protests, although his voice coming out weak, making George know that he'd won the argument. 

George starts to say something else, however, Fred was far too busy in his own thoughts to pay attention to what his twin brother is saying. 

He'd liked Athena for so long, yet he didn't know what to do about it. The girl sees him as a brother, and every time George bombards him with questions he feels his heart begin to race since he doesn't know that to say, "Yes  'Yes, George! She's our best friend and yet I've wanted nothing more than for her to be my girlfriend!'

However, what Fred didn't know was that he'd said his thought out loud, causing George to stop talking and look at his brother with wide eyes, his mouth parted open slightly. "Uh, I think you said that out loud Freddie." 

Oh shit.