Part 7

Year 5: Quidditch

***

It was a Monday morning, and Athena and Professor Lupin were doing their weekly catch up- something that had become routine as the year had coursed by. "I- can't- breathe!" Athena says, struggling to keep herself composed through her fits of laughter. 

Professor Lupin laughs at her reaction to his stories, "It's true!" He exclaims, "Your father really did that," He continues. 

The pair had just spent the past hour in the Defense Against the Dark Art's professor's classroom talking about Athena's parents, something Athena had grown to love hearing. She wipes the tears out of her eyes, "Wait till Harry hears this one! It's crack him up," She tells the man. 

"Right, why couldn't Harry join us today?" He asks, Athena, shrugging, "He had potions, Snape hates him and he didn't want to skip and make things worse." She says, grabbing a piece of chocolate from Lupin's desk as she speaks. 

At the mention of Snape, Lupin tenses up, "Er- say, does Severus- I mean Snape, give you or Harry a hard time- harder than others?" He asks. 

Athena stays silent for a moment, once she thought of it, Snape had always been extra tough on her. Compared to Fred and George, the Potions professor was a saint to her, but they're Fred and George! They always cause mischief, so it's no surprise that he hates them. However, Athena is fairly quiet in his class, sitting next to Elliot- whom he adores, and yet he still gives her a tough time. 

"He's brutal to Harry, and with me, it honestly depends." She answers, "The benefits of having Fred and George in your class is that anyone appears a saint next to them." She continues, still unsure as to why the man had even asked her in the first place. 

Lupin shakes his head in a disapproving manner, "I was always worried Severus was going to take past anger out on you two." 

Athena tilts her head, not understanding what he was talking about. Remus picks up on her confusion and chuckles slightly, "Alright, when your father was in Hogwarts, he wasn't necessarily the nicest to Snape, let's just say it's safe to say they disliked each other."

The Potter daughter forms an 'o' shape with her mouth, having it all suddenly make sense to her. "He probably looks at Harry and me and sees our dad, that makes him think about the past and get angry." She answers casually, before picking up her bag. 

As she walks out of the classroom, Lupin calls her out one more time, "You're not surprised, Athena?" He asks. 

She laughs and shakes her head, "That Snape would be crude enough to take out a childhood grudge on children? Not at all." 

***

Athena runs to the Quidditch field in a panic, hoping her late appearance would go unnoticed. She had been studying with Elliot in the library and had totally lost track of time. 

When she gets to the field, Fred is the first to notice her, "Where were you?" He asks, "I was studying with Elliot, I lost track of time," She answers, panting slightly. 

Fred tenses slightly at the mention of Elliot, although Athena doesn't get the chance to comment on it as she notices Oliver shouting, "Hey, what's happening?" She asks, edging closer to the team. 

"Wood's totally pissed, Slytherin has been milking Malfoy's injury, and now we have to play against Hufflepuff," Angelina says, although Athena notices she sounds far too happy about the fact. "If that's the case, why aren't you guys upset?" Athena asks, her question causing Katie Bell to squeal, "Because we get to play against their super hot new captain!" She exclaims. 

Athena raises an eyebrow, she had no idea they'd gotten a new captain. She saw it coming, as their previous one had graduated last year, but she still was unaware of who it was. "Who is it?" She asks, "Cedric Diggory!" Katie answers excitedly, causing Angelina to nudge her in the ribs, and Katie's drop, "Oh my- I forgot you two are best friends. Please don't tell him said that." Athena laughs, "And inflate Cedric's ego even more? Yeah, no thank you." 

The three of them continue to chat, but Athena suddenly interrupts the flow of their conversation when she remembers Katie had mentioned Cedric was their new captain. "Wait! That git never told me he was the new captain!" She shouts angrily, upset that in the past couple of months her best friend had failed to mention his new leadership. 

Fred notices the girl's anger and wraps an arm around her shoulder, his affection causing her to blush. "Easy Athena, it's not like they'll win, we're far too good." He says, looking at the three girls confidently. 

Ignoring the fact that Fred makes her feel like a little girl, Athena clears her throat, "It's not that! He didn't even tell me he became the captain!" She huffs. 

***

"He looks a bit peaky, doesn't he?" Ron comments, causing Fred and George to scoff, "Peaky?! What do you expect!" Fred argues, "He fell off a hundred feet!" George continues, "Yeah Ron, let's walk you up to the Astronomy tower and see how you look like." 

"Probably a right sight better than he does now." Harry groans, causing everyone's heads to turn to him. Athena chuckles worriedly at her brother, only he could fall a hundred feet and manage to make a sarcastic comment right after waking up. "Harry!" Hermione exclaims, "What happened?" Harry asks, looking at everyone for answers. 

Athena begins to talk, "Well-" she starts, only to have Harry cut her off, "No, in the match, who won?" Everyone in the room shares a glance, no one having the heart to tell him. 

Athena clears her throat, putting her hand over her younger brothers, "Well you see, Cedric caught the snitch right after you fell. He had no idea you fell though and demanded a rematch as soon as he found out, but he won it fair and square, even Wood said so," She says, "Good bloke that Cedric is," Neville comments. 

"Where is Wood now?" Harry asks, scanning through the group of us and noticing Wood is nowhere to be seen.

"In the showers. I think he's trying to drown himself." Fred jokes, although no one laughs, Athena felt horrible for Wood, she knew how badly he wanted to make them proud this year, especially with it being his final year at Hogwarts, and now he was probably beating himself over their loss, even without it being his fault. 

As everyone begins to swarm Harry with questions, a shiver goes through Athena's spine as she had been freezing. "Are you cold?" Fred asks, looking at the girl with worried. She nods slightly, rubbing her arms for warmth. Fred quickly talks off his jumper, but before he can hand it to the girl she stops him, "Freddie-" He blushes, "Oh erm- sorry- I didn't know that it'd make you feel uncomfortable," He quickly begins to spew out apologizes, but Athena just laughs, "No Freddie, your jumper is wet as well. I can't imagine it would make any difference."

Fred looks down at his jumper sheepishly, realizing that it is indeed soaking wet, looking back up at the girl with a red-tinted face- he apologizes, "Right- sorry."

Their conversation is interrupted by Ron's shuffling of the feet, "Oh- er Harry there's one more thing," He announces, turning around for a second before returning with Harry's broom in his hand, except the thing is broken into bits and pieces. 

"They found this in the Whomping Willow," Ron says, giving Harry a pitiful smile.