Chapter 56

Morning comes slowly.

And I couldn't ask for anything more.

My eyes flutter open, and I'm sprawled out on top of Mephisto. Half of my body is perched on his, and my arm runs across his chest, wrapping around to his back.

He has one arm around me, the other stretched out on the bed. His hand hangs off the edge, and his legs lie crossed with mine.

A soft, thick blanket covers both of our nearly naked bodies, yet the only warmth I'm getting is from Mephisto.

I rub my eyes and yawn.

"Babe," My voice is groggy and still half asleep.

I look up and see Mephisto still in a deep slumber, his breathing calm and smooth.

I smile.

I've never seen Mephisto asleep. But it's one of the most beautiful things you could ever see.

I look down my shirt has come up, and the bandaging around my stomach is pressed against his.

There's an aching from the wound, but I attempt to ignore it. I shudder as I pull down my shirt, the pain growing the more I move.

I clench my teeth to keep from screaming as I slowly roll off of him, curling up as I wrap my arms around my stomach.

What the hell? This entire time, I felt as if there wasn't even a scratch... but now...

The pain seems to be making up for lost time.

I bite my lip as it spreads, a chill going up my spine as my eyes begin to water.

"J... Judi-" Mephisto's groggy voice causes my eyes to widen.

I don't want him to see me like this right now. Not when he just woke up.

I silence myself and grind my teeth, not moving an inch. The pain still continually grows.

"Judi..." He clears his voice.

I close my eyes when I feel his hand touch my arm. His grip is gentle, but the moment he slightly moves me, I cry out with pain.

"Oh my god-" He jumps off the bed and runs to my side, his eyes widening when he sees tears rolling down my eyes.

I shake my head and smile, laughing nervously. "I... I didn't want you to have to wake up and see me like this-"

I gulp. "I'm sorry, baby."

He shakes his head and places his hands softly on my sides. "No, no... w-why are you apologizing to me? We... we have to take you to the hospital-"

"No, it's fine... I just... it's just aching, is all." I reply.

"Okay... let me help you up."

He gently grabs me and slowly sits me up.

I keep my arms wrapped around myself, shivering.

Mephisto stares intently into my eyes and he keeps himself close to me. "I'm going to help you, okay?"

I look at him and shake my head. "No... this is normal, this is-"

I cringe.

"Judi... listen, I'll call Lewin and tell him you can't make it today-"

"No, don't." I clear my throat. "I can handle a little ache, I'm a woman afterall."

I grab onto his arm, putting my weight on it as I slowly stand up.