Chapter 95

Three Days Later

Vatican City is a truly wonderful place.

And Europe is certainly different than Japan.

The people, the scenery, the mood...

But it's very comforting.

Every minute that I've been here, I've felt warm. (Also because Japan is currently experiencing this cold front that just won't fuck off).

I've definitely made use of my time alone.

I've tried new foods, went sight seeing to famous landmarks, indulged in new styles and ways to do my hair, and even learned some dancing.

While it may seem as if I've dropped my entire life and job to slack off, it's quite the contrary.

Winding down allowed me to think about what happened three days ago.

What Lucifer said to me, what Mephisto said to me, and what I said to Mephisto...

I've tried to find justifications for all that was said and done, but some parts are still fuzzy to me.

But I'm not ready to jump back in the mix just yet.

And being thousands of miles away from home is a perfect start.

I rented out a nice hotel by the water, with an amazing view of almost the entire city.

So... beautiful.

It's night time now, and staring out of my window on the balcony at the stars and sparkle from the water is mesmerizing.

And as I sit here with a considerably ripe cigar between my red lips, and curling up with faux fur on my chair, I smile.

As dangerous as it may be, I enjoyed being selfish.

I enjoyed every minute of it so far.

I'm not sure if anyone else would understand that just yet, so I'll keep that thought to myself.

I cloud the view with a huff of smoke, exhaling with relief as it feels my lungs.

It's probably not safe for me to do this while I'm still desperate for my painkillers, but I find that it's the only thing that will calm me for the time being.

I've also gone through about three bottles of wine tonight, so...

That's that.

I grab my phone to look at the time.

12:43.

Hm... I wonder what time it is in Japan.

I laugh. Fuck if I know.

I open up my contacts and scroll through.

I think maybe it's about time I actually contacted someone I know... because as far as they're concerned, I've "gone missing".

I finally find the person I find it is most appropriate to talk to.

I giggle and click the number, patiently waiting as it rings.

After a few moments, the ringing finally stops.

"Bella!" I cackle, huffing a bit more smoke into the air. "Hey."

"... Judi?" She groans, her voice loud.

"Shh... lower your voice. I don't want anyone to hear you." I reply with a laugh. "And what are you doing up so late, huh? It's way past your bedtime."