Chapter 101

~

Mephisto Pheles' Point of View

I look out the window to the Academy, watching as a plethora of people walks by every minute. The sun is beaming today amongst a clear blue sky, casting a beautiful light on the entire campus.

If only my dear Judi would share this view with me still.

But... alas, it is my own doing that is solidifying her distance from me. So who is to really blame here?

My thoughts are interrupted by my door slamming open.

I slowly turn and see an angered Shura stomping in.

I sigh deeply. "Ms. Kirigakure, how did you manage to enter my home this time?"

"Well, putting a sword to Kaji's throat usually does the trick." She replies sarcastically. "I heard you saw Judi."

"Did you now?" I smile at her. "That's a strange thing that people are passing around."

"I don't have time for you to joke around, Mephisto." She snaps. "The entire Order is talking about it. You didn't seem that inclined to keep it a secret, anyway."

"Me? Keeping secrets?" I place my hand on my chest. "You know I would never-"

She draws her sword to my throat, the end barely touching my skin.

"Don't you think you're being selfish?" She narrows her eyes at me. "Judi disappears for an entire year, and the moment you finally have contact with her you want to brush it off like it's nothing?!"

"If you came here wondering if she's coming back or not, you'll be nothing but disappointed," I say. "She sees through everything I say, Ms. Kirigakure."

"Then why not just tell her the truth?" Her tone quickly becomes somber. "You... you're keeping her away, Mephisto!"

"Her leaving was on her own will." I stand from my seat. "She's unraveling as we speak."

"You should have just taken her with you." She shouts. "We can easily fix her, she can live her normal life-!"

"Don't be absurd, Shura." I scoff. "A normal life? Judi will never have a normal life. Whether she becomes my wife, whether she becomes a monster, or whether she falls victim to Lucifer... each outcome results in a rather abnormal life, wouldn't you say?"

"Forgive me if I feel as if you're not trying hard enough." She says sarcastically. "Because it seems to me that you could care less that she's gone. Tch... you're probably happy, now that I think of it. Now you don't have to feel guilty about keeping shit from everyone in your life-"

"Goodness, Shura, it's absolutely draining hearing you speak this way." I groan. "Do not pretend that Yukio hasn't already told you everything you need to know about Judi. You know exactly why she's gone, yet you still insist on blaming me."

She remains silent for a few moments. She throws her sword down and falls onto her knees.

My throat clenches. Seeing Shura so weak is strange and unfitting.

There are many things I could say to her at this moment, but I will refrain.

Nothing I say at this point will ease her worries.

"How did she look?" She asks with a strained tone. 

"Sick. Drained-" I reply. "Her skin was cold. Almost as if she was no longer living."

"God." She throws her head down. "What the hell is she doing...?"

"Time is winding down for her." I walk over next to Shura, extending my hand out to her. "It's only a matter of time."