Chapter 96

The Next Day

"You continue to surprise me," Angel smirks as he walks back and forth in front of me. "A woman like you... doing something as childish as this."

"Nice to know you see me as a woman, Angel." I laugh. 

Angel ignores my comment and sighs.

"Timowan and I have decided it's most appropriate we allow all of the Exorcists an extra day off," Angel continues. "Not because they deserve it, but because we need a bit alone time with you before things somewhat fall back to normal."

"Alone time?" I raise an eyebrow. "For what reason?"

"Starting today, we will be having you undergo weekly medical check ups with Doctors here with the Order." Timowan intervenes. "Nothing drastic, but it is neccesary."

"Medical check ups?" I frown. "I'm not sick, or dying... right now."

"These aren't normal check ups, Judi." Angel sighs. "They will be the same check ups that Yukio Okumura also undergoes, so perhaps you can go with him every week if it makes you feel a bit more comfortable."

Yukio?

I exchange glances with the both of them.

It's only the three of us here at the Vatican currently. Everyone else, as Angel said, is still in town enjoying one more day of leisure. 

I'm not sure of Shura and the others stayed, but Mephisto and I were instructed to return with Timowan. 

But Mephisto put it upon himself to watch Lucifer for the moment...

Yet I'm unsure what his motives behind that are.

"Why does Yukio have to do the check ups? What's wrong with him?"

"There's nothing wrong with him, nor is there anything wrong with you. These check ups monitor any demon anomalies that could potentially occur in human bodies-" Angel looks me up and down. "Or in your case, demon body."

I laugh under my breath. "Well, that seems a bit redundant. A demon undergoing medical check ups to see if she's a demon?"

"You misunderstand, Lady Rilegeki." Timowan exclaims. "This is to monitor any potential growths or changes in your demon blood... to see if the cells in your body that give you your power are mutating or altering themselves in anyway."

"Why do you feel the need to supervise that?" I tense up. "What the hell is going on that makes you feel like you're inclined to-?"

"Judi, you currently walk the surface of Assiah solely at the mercy of myself and the Order. We are entitled to research whatever we feel necessary."

"Don't tell me you're letting what Lucifer said get into your brain." I step towards Angel. "Because if so, that's awfully disappointing. I even expected more out of you."

"This has nothing to do with Lucifer."

"Oh, it doesn't?" I spit sarcastically. "Because before him and his brother showed up, you and I seemed to be... friends, almost. And now... suddenly we're back right to where we started. With you feeling threatened by every little damn thing I do, and with you feeling as if you have to do something about it."

"It's natural to be threatened by a friend, don't you think?"

"Oh, please." I scoff. "What makes you think I have to listen to anything you say, asshole?"

"Because, Judi Rilegeki-" He grabs my wrist and yanks on it.

"I am the Paladin." His eyes gleam at me. "And while you may now be a high ranking, and entirely able Exorcist, you're still an inferior in my eyes. Now respect your elders, and this will certainly go a lot smoother."