Chapter 53

The once silence jury has now erupted into gasps and outbursts.

Not that I was expecting anything different.

I feel Mephisto grab onto my wrist.

"Judi..." He stares into my eyes. "What are you doing?"

I open my mouth to respond, but not before Angel interrupts me.

"Are you a fool?" He scoffs and shakes his head. "You honestly think that after all that's happened, we'd allow you to work amongst us? As an Exorcist? Tch. Powerful yet idiotic. It's not a good combination."

I clench my teeth.

"Yes, I do think so." I pry my wrist away from Mephisto, facing Angel entirely. "I want to clear my name and prove to you that I'm not who you think I am. This... violent, dangerous demon... That's not who I am. And I'll show you that it's true."

Angel sighs.

"Don't be so close-minded, my dear friend..." Lewin walks towards Angel and leans against the wall next to him, a smirk on his face as he continues to chew on his wheat. "She'd be a beneficial asset to the Order, if anything. She's strong, she's experienced in battle, she's open to suggestion for the most part..."

He looks up at Timothee.

"This is like buying a purebred kitten for a few yen, Your Honor." He laughs at his analogy and spits out his wheat. "You'd be an even bigger fool to pass it up."

I stare at Lewin.

Why exactly is he trying to help me now?

"I object." Mephisto suddenly exclaims.

I quickly turn towards him, shocked by his sudden outburst.

What is he doing?!

I'd think that he'd be 100% onboard with my decision... even the jury is confused.

Lewin and Angel widen their eyes, waiting for Mephisto to give his argument.

"Judi has nothing to owe the Order. If anything, they owe her for treating her so unfairly!" He explains. "The only thing I'm asking for is to let Judi go without any charges and to let her live peacefully with me here on Assiah. And this request doesn't require her doing anything to serve the Order in any way."

Angel scoffs.

"Live peacefully, you say..." He smiles. "How naive of you, Lord Pheles. For you to think for even a moment that a demon like her can live peacefully amongst a world of humans..."

"Maybe you're right," I face Mephisto for a moment, but I look straight up at Timothee. "Even if I don't owe anything to you... I still feel entitled to help. I want to help."

I ball my hands into fists.

"I have all of this power, afterall!" I look at Mephisto, and then up at the jury. "But what good is it if I don't do anything with it?! What good is it if I'm not using it for others? For Assiah?!"

I stand surrounded by their silence for a few moments, looking back down at Mephisto.

Mephisto, you have to let me do this.

Judi... I just want what's best for you.

What's best for me? Why don't you support me instead?

I can see him tensing up.

Timothee suddenly slams down his mallet before Mephisto can respond.

"I have reached a decision." He exclaims, exhaling deeply. "I will allow the Grigori to decipher upon this decision, and from there, we will reach a verdict."