Chapter 9

I wait at the base of the mountain for Mephisto.

Knowing what I know about him, it shouldn't take too long.

But then again, there are many things I also don't know.

My mind keeps going back to Bon.

Why is he treating me the same way he used to treat Rin? Is it because I'm a demon? Is it because I'm the daughter of what you could call a female satan?

Whatever it is, I take it into too much consideration. I mean, what he said was nothing I haven't told myself before... but I guess hearing it from someone else makes it more true than I want to be. But Bon doesn't know what it's like first hand, anyways.

I sit against a tree and sigh. It's been about 5 minutes, and he's still not back. 5 minutes obviously isn't a long time, but it feels like it is.

I can help but think of the worst case scenerio, even though I try to be an optimist most of the time. What if they've already killed him?

What if he's struggling?

What if they're ripping him apart limb from limb?

What if he's hurt?

What if he needs help?

What if-

"You look worried, Judi-San." Mephisto says.

I look up and see him holding at least 15 Garthrands, all of them ranging from adults to small children.

I stand up and brush the dirt off of my pants. "I... I wasn't."

He smiles at me. "Are you sure about that? You look like you were asking a lot of 'what if' questions in that pretty little head of yours."

It annoys me how he already knows me too well.

I ignore the question. "Let's just get back to camp, alright? And I'll help you carry those."

"Oh, no, no, no." Mephisto says, moving them more behind him. "I won't make a lady carry disgusting creatures like this."

"Well, it makes it look like you just did all of the work." I complain, folding my arms across my chest.

Mephisto bursts into laughter. "How magnificent!"

"What?"

"I thought you would make a feminist comment towards me saying it's a shame that I think it's a man job to do something like this..." He says through laughs. "But no, you are angry because you don't want to me to take all of the credit."

"Yeah, I really don't!"

He stops his laughter and smiles at me. "You are truly something, Judi-San."

I feel my cheeks getting red again, but I'm too frustrated to acknowledge them.

"Aww..." He says, softly. He drops the bodies to the ground and approaches me, placing one of his fingers on my cheek. "If it makes you feel any better, I'll give you the one that you killed."

I scoff. "Fine."

He smiles and strokes my cheek. He gets 'Alison' off of the ground and hands it to me.

I snatch it from him and swing it over my shoulder. "Let's get going."

Mephisto follows behind me with the rest of the bodies, dragging them on the ground as we walk.

"Don't drag them too hard, Mephisto." I sigh. "They're gonna fall apart."

"They won't fall apart, Judi." He retorts, the sound of them scraping the ground overpowering his voice.