Chapter 41- Retribution

Once we reach the dining room, it's just as silent as my room.

If anything, it's quiter. My room at least has the sounds of birds and insects on the other side of the window, with occasionally powerful gusts of wind that whirl into the room.

Everyone is seated at the table, their hands on their laps as they avoid eye contact with others. There are two empty seats, one of them next to Yukio and the other at the head of the table.

Shura releases me and sits in the seat next to Yukio, leaving me to sit at the end.

I sigh and slowly walk towards the table, looking straight in front of me as I feel all of their eyes falling onto me.

Once I sit, that's when I finally look at all of them.

They all have dim expressions on their faces, and not a single bit of joy is found at the table.

The food is still in its silver platter, not yet touched by anyone. Even Rin.

I clear my throat.

"You should start eating." I say, softly. "The meal will get cold if you wait too long-"

"We were waiting for you, Sir Pheles." Yukio cuts in, his eyes meeting mine. I can see his hand on Shura's knee as she attempts to keep her emotions at bay. "We... wanted to wait until you showed up."

"And if I didn't show up?"

"Mephisto," Jennifer says loudly, her eyes bloodshot as she forces a smile. "It's good to see you after all this time."

Althought she sustains a content tone, I can hear the hurt and pain deep down in her voice.

I was lucky that I was able to take her away from the confinement block, but it was only afterwards when she realized what happened to Judi that she wanted to go back.

She holds out her hand and attempts to grab the large forks that are hanging off the plates, but her hands are shaking too much to even get a grip.

"Jennifer." I hold my hand out and take the fork for her, serving her a portion of the plate. I hold out the platter to the others, allowing them all to take a small portion.

Bon, Shima, Koneko, Kaji, Shiemi, Shura, Rin, Yukio, and Jennifer all begin to eat, the color seeming to return to all of their faces.

Lastly, I serve myself and watch over everyone as they eat.

I haven't eaten in nearly a week, so now it seems like an obscene thing to do.

After about 10 minutes of silence, with exception of plates clanking against other plates and silverware, Rin finally speaks up with a half full mouth.

"So... this is a really nice place you have for us, Mephisto." He smiles softly and looks up at me with bright eyes.

"Y-yeah..." Shima adds hesitantly. "You really went all out for us, Sir..."

I look up at the two of them and nod my head, not saying a word.

They both look down at their plates, seeming to be embarrassed for saying something.

"Um... so..." Rin clears his throat and holds his hand to the back of his head. "I-I've been meaning to ask you..."

I look up at him.

"Uh...." He laughs nervously, but that laughter immediately diminishes to a nervous frown. "I... I was just wondering... w-what happened to Izumo."

Suddenly, all of the clanking and chatter of the plates ceases, bringing the room back to dead silence as I take in his question.

Yukio looks at Rin with a disappointed look, shaking his head as he punches his arm.