Chapter 75

I stare at her lifeless body.

The monitor hisses that unbearably flat noise, as if that were her death in the solid form of sound waves.

I bring my hands to my head, and I start screaming.

"No! No, no, no, no, no, no!"

My flames burst so intensely, it catches me off guard.

"Mama, no! Stop! Come back!" I grab her arms, I try to bring my fire to her heart to get it flowing again. "Please! Don't you dare fucking leave me now! Come back!"

I hear the door slamming open, several people running inside all at once.

I can feel everyone's eyes from the hall staring me down.

Mephisto grabs me and pulls me away from her as the doctor's place the sheet over her body.

"No! Don't do that! I'll bring her back!" I'm crying so hard now, it hurts to talk. "Please!"

Mephisto holds me tight.

"C'mon, Judi... you don't have to be in here anymore." He begins to pull me away. "She's gone."

"Yukio, let me give her my blood! It'll bring her back, I know it will!" I scream at Yukio, who's helping wheel her body out. "Don't take her away from me, dammit!"

He pretends to not hear me and continues to roll her body away. "I'm sorry, Judi."

My flames stretch out higher, almost filling the entire room. I drop to my knees, burying my face in Mephisto's chest as I cry onto him. I wrap my arms around his neck, letting him hold me back.

"Bring her back, Mephisto!" I sob, shaking and shuttering. "P.... please."

"Baby... you know I can't do that." He smoothes my hair down. "It's time for her to rest, now. In peace."

"I didn't... I didn't want her to leave." I shake my head. "She... she-"

Mephisto shushes me. "It's okay, my love... Let's.... let's leave this room, okay? I'll take you somewhere."

I don't say anything back, and I just reply by crying even more.

And he picks me up off of the ground and carries me out of the hospital room. I move my face towards his body, but I can still see all of their eyes on me as we walk down the hallway.

The powerful Judi Rilegeki.

Crying so much she just may pass out.

Tch.

Powerful.

If only there were such a thing.

~

Two Days Later

Some people believe there is a reward for pain.

Pain from a workout. You get healthier.

Pain from a heartbreak. It opens the door to the right one.

Pain from a wound. You get showered in the freedom of laziness and gifts and respects from others.

Pain from a death...

I'm still trying to find the reward for that one.

I lay on Mephisto's chest, keeping my eyes closed since opening them only triggers tears to fall. It's been two days since we were at the hospital, and I've been paralyzed ever since.