Chapter 6

Mephisto brings me back to the dorm precisely 5 and a half hours later. The sun is now coming up, but it's still early morning.

The time I spent with him went by quickly, mainly because he knows how to entertain me.

I walk into the dorm, quietly opening and closing the door. I remember from when Yukio first took me here, my room was on the 3rd floor. I don't risk making any noise with the elevator, so instead I take the stairs.

It's strange... how did he know my flames would go down?

I clear my mind of it for the moment. I'm just too tired to even ponder the idea.

I go up the first flight of stairs, and then the second, and onto the third floor.

I see one room, door open, illuminating the dark hallway with its light.

I think that's... my room?

I walk down the hall and go through the room door, and sure enough, it's my room.

Along with Yukio, Shura, and Rin.

I pause at the doorstep, feeling like a teenager who just got caught sneaking out with her boyfriend.

They all look at me with stern faces and folded arms, so I decide it's only appropriate to take the initiative and speak up.

"I'm sorry... I know it was irresponsible and reckless-"

"Don't be sorry, Judi-San." Rin says, his voice airy and light. "You were-"

"Rin!" Shura snaps, punching his shoulder. She stands up and walks over to me. "I've told you before, Judi! Whatever mind-tricks Mephisto's pulling on you... you can't be falling for them.

"There are no mind-tricks, Shura." My voice is louder than I intend it to be.

Shura raises her eyebrows. "Are you being serious? Don't tell me you're-"

"Quiet!" Yukio yells, standing up from the chair he was sitting in.

Shura turns to him and flashes him a confused and annoyed look.

"Listen, Judi-San." Yukio continues. "I understand that you don't know us well enough to bend to our every rule and expectation... and I know you are more mature and older than us. But all we're doing is trying to protect you. You're safe with us."

"How am I not safe with Mephisto? He would never let the Vatican get ahold of me." I retort.

Yukio opens his mouth to speak, but Rin interrupts him.

"Mephisto Pheles is a man of many words, Judi. I would just advise you to not believe every one of them."

There is a brief silence after he says that, all of us just standing in the room with either our hands in our pockets or our fingers tapping on the furniture near us.

"I want you to come to class today, Judi-San." Yukio says. "You too, Shura."

"What the hell?" Shura groans. "Why do I have to go?"

"Because, I don't want you straying to far while I'm preoccupi-" He pauses. He glances at all of us, and then to Shura. "I just want the both of you to be in class."

Shura gazes intently at Yukio, but looks at the ground shortly after.

He looks at his watch and heads for the door. "I expect to see all of you in a couple hours. Don't be late."

Rin and Shura groan, but I just sit myself down in a chair.

"So what kind of stuff do we learn about in his class?" I ask.