Chapter 20

When I get back to the party, I sigh of relief when I see that Yukio still isn't here.

It would've looked suspicious if he got here before I did... and I was just going to the "bathroom".

"Judi-San!" Rin smiles, greeting me. "I didn't even notice that you left... where were you?"

I begin to tense up, but I attempt to ease myself by smiling back at him. "I was just using the bathroom."

Rin nods his head. Shura walks up behind him and balances herself on his shoulder.

"You were gone for a while." She says. Her words are slurred and her eyes look dimmed.

I can tell if Shura is drunk within a second of seeing her or talking to her.

I avoid her statement by bringing up her current state of mind. "I didn't know alcohol was being served at this party."

Shura glares at me, leaning more and more onto Rin.

"We aren't serving alcohol." Rin says as he attempts to hold Shura up. "She brought her own, I guess. I mean it is Shura."

Shura laughs and playfully punches him.

I laugh a little bit as well, trying to melt into the conversation a little more.

I don't want my current disposition to be "I just eavesdropped on a mission that includes finding me and murdering me and Mephisto is evidently apart of... but hopefully not in the way I assume"...

I attempt to shake off the thought.

"Yukio!" Rin suddenly exclaims.

I hear footsteps coming from behind me, followed by... another.

"You came back just in time," Rin says. Yukio walks beside him, looking nervous as he passes me.

I gulp and slowly turn to see Mephisto, who is sophisticatedly balancing on his umbrella.

"My love," He smiles. He approaches me, leaning in to kiss me.

I pull away before he can kiss me, trying to avoid looking at him.

Mephisto looks at me with a confused expression.

"Judi... what's wrong?" He asks, his voice suddenly sounding concerned.

What's wrong?

God. I could go on and on about what's wrong.

I don't know what to say back to him, so I don't say anything.

I slightly turn my head and see Bon, standing alone with a cup in his hand.

I continue to stare at him until he notices me.

It takes a moment for him to realize why I'm staring at him, but he picks it up after a while. He sets his cup down and walks over to Mephisto and I.

"I, um..." Bon holds his hand to the back of his head. "I have to talk to Judi, Mr. Pheles... do you mind?"

Mephisto looks at Bon and then at me.

"I suppose." He says, lowly.

I feel his eyes still staring me down as I walk away with Bon.

We sit down at a table across from each other.

"Thanks, Bon." I sigh of relief. "I owe you one."

Bon laughs under his breath. "What's going on with you and him, huh? You must've been pretty desperate if you reached out for my help."

I obviously can't tell Bon the real reason why I'm angry with him...