Chapter 69

Their house is normal.

Nothing about it sticks out, as the painting and structure of the home is virtually identical to those surrounding it.

But the one thing that separates this home from the others is the thick, evil air that clogs my nose as soon as we pull into the driveway.

Mephisto and I exchange glances.

We followed their car from the restaurant, and even then we could see small coal tars pecking at the car as we drove.

Why her?

She's just a child... she doesn't look a day over 10.

Mephisto and I get out of the car, and that's when he finally breathes in the air.

He pauses and stares into all the windows.

I stare with him, my eyes widening when I see a faint shadow in one of the windows of the second floor.

I suddenly feel the girl's hand grab mine.

"Please... can you walk in with me? I don't want to walk through the door alone." Yui asks softly.

"Of course..." I hold onto her hand and see that her father has already walked in.

I would say he's rude and unthoughtful, but it's not like he can help it.

Humans just don't believe in the supernatural. It's common sense to believe they're just scary stories and myths.

But unfortunately it's real. And it's in their home.

Mephisto and I walk in with Yui, her grip tightening as we near the house.

And just like the outside, the inside is simple and modern.

Several lamps and lights rid the home of darkness.

Well, the visible darkness.

The father closes the door behind us.

"Is there anything I can get you? It's the least I can do since you drove all the way down here for her."

I smile. "No, thank you-"

"I'll have a glass of Bombay with lemon," Mephisto cuts in. I shoot him a look. "That is... if you happen to have gin here in your house."

The father lets out a faint laugh. "I'll go check."

As soon as he leaves, I turn towards Mephisto.

"You're seriously going to drink while we're here?"

"Bombay gin is hard to find in Japan. So he'll spend some time looking to see if he has an alcohol that is rarely sold in this country." He says. "I just wanted to buy us some time with Yui. Alone."

I smirk and nod my head.

Clever.

"So, tell me, sweetie-" I kneel down next to Yui, gently holding her small shoulders. "Where do the fairies come out the most?"

"In my bedroom." She immediately replies.

I nod my head. "Do you think you can take me and Mr. Pheles there?"

She nods and leads him and I up the stairs, each step creaking underneath our feet.

Once we get to the second floor, I can immediately tell which room is hers.

"It's that one room with the white door at the end of the hall, isn't it?" I ask, holding her hand.

She looks up at me with shock. "Yes! How... how did you know?"