Chapter 62

~Mephisto's Point of View~

A phone buzzing wakes me up.

I groan and try to ignore it, but the sound is persistant against my ears.

I'm lolled over Judi's body, and when I open my eyes, I see my arm is wrapped around her tight.

"Babe... your phone." I say with a groggy voice.

All I hear in return is the sound of her soft breathing.

I blink my eyes a few times, looking up to see she's still sound asleep.

She had a long night, I presume. I should let her sleep.

I carefully move myself off of her, stretching my arms as I gently place my feet onto the ground. I look up at the nightstand and see it's... my phone ringing.

I exhale deeply and flip it open.

Kaji's number.

"Kaji, what do you want? You woke me up, you kn-"

"Jennifer asked to be let onto the property. She should be up to your room in a moment."

I wrinkle my eyebrows.

Jennifer?

"Alright... did she say why-?"

I'm interrupted by the sound of knocking at the front door.

Wow.

That was quick.

I hang up the phone, looking down to make sure I have clothes on.

And... I don't.

I groan and quickly slip my pants on, struggling to fasten the belt as I walk towards the front door.

I put my belt through the final loop, breathing out heavily as I turn the doorknob.

And sure enough, Jennifer is standing there with a bright look on her face.

I greet her with a smile, hoping to distract her from the fact that I'm shirtless.

"Ms. Takashi! Pleasant to see you, once again." I clear my throat.

She smiles at me. "Same to you, Mr. Pheles. Has everything been going well for you?"

I nod my head too quickly.

"Um... yeah, of course!" I laugh nervously. "Yes... I've been doing well. Judi has kept me company."

She nods her head. "That's wonderful!"

I clear my throat again.

"Uh... I'm sorry, Judi's still sleeping-" I bring my hand to the back of my head. "If you want, I'll let you know when she wakes up so you can-"

"You know... I did come to see Judi, but... I have no problem speaking with you until then, Mr. Pheles." She says.

I raise my eyebrows. "Oh! Of course. Definitely. Here, come in."

I let her walk in with me, and once I turn around my heart seems to stop.

On the floor is remnants of Judi's lingerie and clothing, which I obviously didn't see coming to the door.

I step in front of her and quickly kick it under the couch and table, praying that she won't comment on it.

After we got out of the shower last night, we were kind of all over the place. The living room, my desk, the bedroom, against the wall...