Chapter 3

I wake up to more immense pain.

I gather enough energy to look up at the window. It's still a bit dark outside, but it seems that light will be peeking through shortly.

I place my hand on my wound, and slowly move myself off of the bed. The room they put me in is actually quite nice. It has a bed, table, couch, small appliances, and a small bathroom. I look and see Shura and Rin sound asleep.

Surely enough, every once in a while Rin's flames flicker just slightly. He's sprawled out on the ground, holding his sword in his hand while Shura is lolled on the couch. I get up on my feet and make my way towards the bathroom, which is up just ahead. I walk as slow as a turtle, and my feet barely come off of the carpet as I move.

I stumble through the doorway and close the door slowly behind me. I look into the mirror and sigh.

My long, dark purple hair falls down effortlessly to my waist, and my naturally pink lips look bold on my sickly complexion. I'm still not well, because even I'm not this pale on a normal basis. While my hair surprisingly looks fine, my clothes are a dirty mess. My entire black attire is covered in dirt and blood, especially near my stomach.

I splash cold water onto my face and look up at myself. Water drips off of my long eyelashes, but I quickly bat them away.

I close my eyes and rub them roughly. As soon as they close, I see someone.

A man with a white coat and stripes and polka dots and a top hat.

Mephisto...

I open my eyes and exhale deeply.

"Judi?" I hear Rin's voice on the other side of the door.

I pull my hair out of my face and open the door.

His hair is sticking out in a million different ways, and his eyes look like they are struggling to stay open.

"Hey," I say in a raspy, morning voice. I immediately clear my throat afterwards.

"Are you feeling any better?" Rin asks.

"Yeah," I say, my voice now crisp and clear. "I can at least move around on my own, now."

I walk past Rin and take a seat at the table.

He follows me and sits at the other chair, twiddling his thumbs and looking into every corner of the room.

I sit with my arms crossed on my lap, doing just the same thing as him.

"You should join my class!" Rin suddenly says. "You know... I mean we would enroll you under a new name and everything. But maybe we could help you out with controlling those flames of yours?"

I smile at Rin. "I'm surprised you'd be so willing to help someone out like me."

He laughs. "Well, my father is Satan, so... nothing is too much!"

"You honestly think that the other's would share the same thought as you, Rin? They barely know me."

Rin's eyes light up and an imaginary lightbulb appears on the top of his head.

"We should do some icebreakers in class today! You, me, Yukio, Shiemi, Shura, Bon, Konekumaru, Shima, Izumo... it'll be great!" Rin gets up from his seat and extends his hand to me.

I think for a moment. Right now, these people are the only chance I have to regain my strength and remember what happened to me...

I take his hand and he hoists me up, leading me towards the doorway.