Chapter 72

Judi Rilegeki's Point of View

I catch up with Shura and the others after Mephisto disappears from my sight with Bella.

What could've possibly been so important that she had to come to him at Headquarters?

I shake my head and drop the subject.

If things are going to work with Bella from now on, I can't be getting suspicious with every little thing she does.

Shura notices me running towards them and slows down for me.

"Hey, sugar lumps." She throws her arm around me and lets Angel and Lewin walk ahead of us. Yukio and Rin stand next to us. "Surprised you didn't run away on a horse with your prince charming."

"He has business to take care of." I clear my throat. "So... um, what do guys think of all this Council business?"

"I think it's about time they start electing people." Shura immediately says. "This place'll fall apart sooner or later."

"Well, I hope they put me on it." Rin adds. "They need some youth on the board, don't you think?"

"Sure, but they don't need idiots either." Shura retorts.

Rin scoffs. "Shut up. I can mature for this position, you all know it!"

"You sure about that, Rin?" Yukio smiles. "The pages from my manga have been a bit... damp recently."

Rin's face turns red. "You have no proof that's because of me."

"Well, you Okumura's shouldn't get your hopes up-" Shura laughs. "Because as long as I'm a possibility, you two don't stand a chance."

"Oh, I beg to differ." Yukio smiles. "I'd say we have the same chances as a woman who drinks beer more than she breathes."

"Hey, I wouldn't talk to your woman like that!" Rin says playfully.

"I know..." I smile and place my arm on her shoulder. "If you're gonna have a lover's quarrel, at least have it in private."

The two of them pause and fidget uncomfortably.

"You're both mistaken," Yukio smiles. "I take my work very seriously and would never date a co-worker-"

"Co-worker?" Shura scoffs. "That's what this has resorted to?"

I widen my eyes and face Yukio.

"Um, no, no... that's not what I meant." He smiles nervously and places his hand on her arm.

"Really? Because it's what you said."

"But it's connotation shouldn't have to be negative, now-"

"Why don't you two do this somewhere else?" I stop them when people around us begin to look.

With that, the two of them walk off together, lowering the volume of their argument as they push past the others.

Rin faces me and smiles.

"So, how are you liking that badge of yours?"

"A lot, actually." I smile back. "Not only is it a symbol, but it's a nifty little weapon. I've cut tags off with the little needle before, you know."

Rin laughs and nods his head. "Yeah... Shiemi used it once when she was mixing tree sap with herbs. I guess she couldn't find her spoon or whatever."

"Oh, Shiemi." I think of her cute face and pretty blond hair, accompanied by a sweet voice. "How is she doing?"

"She's awesome, as always." He says. "We're, uh... we're getting pretty serious."