Purple Flame- The Mezame (Short #1)

A Purple Flame Short Story

The Mezame

"I'm absolutely exhausted," Shura complains, throwing herself back into her chair. "Thirty exorcisms in one day. It's fucked up."

"You're one to talk," Yukio adds. "For me, it's been like this for weeks."

"Keep this in mind, children." Mephisto exclaims. "For every successful exorcism, the bigger your bonus is at the end of the year."

"No bonus is worth all of the damned demon blood I have to wash out of my clothes each night." Shura says.

Today, all of us decided to meet at Rin and Yukio's dorm to wind down.

Lately, the amount of exorcisms and demon related accidents have reached a boiling point, with as much as one hundred calls a day from the Japan Branch alone.

"Why do you think it's been like this?" I ask. "It's never this bad."

"Well... it is the season of Mezame's." Lewin answers. "It only makes sense it's happening all at once."

"Mezame?" I raise an eyebrow. "What is that?"

Just as Lewin's about to answer, Angel cuts him off.

"Every demon experiences a Mezame during the year, typically when it starts getting colder... just as it is now." He explains. "A Mezame is when a demon, hostile or not hostile, becomes vicious and destructive."

I shake my head. "Wait a minute... that means...?"

"Don't you worry about it, sweet cheeks." Lewin smiles. "Since you've recently awakened as a demoness, you'll probably be forgiven this year."

"And Rin has already had his." Yukio adds. "What I do is I lock him in the bathrooms for a good 24 hours before I'm sure it's safe for him to come out."

I suppose that all makes sense.

Every single year when I was living with Jennifer, I would get extremely irritable around the winter time, and they gradually become worse as I grew up.

I just always thought they were petty tantrums I was throwing...

"And mine are never too dramatic," Bella suddenly boasts. "I'm a crazy bitch everyday of the year so no one ever really notices."

"Can't argue with that." Shura rolls her eyes.

"So, really..." Angel raises an eyebrow. "It's Mephisto we have to worry about."

All of us face him, to which he's casually sitting next to me with his arms folded across his chest.

"Oh, please." He scoffs. "You don't have to worry. My Mezame is never too sporadic."

"Don't lie, Pheles." Shura snaps. "Every single damn year it seems to get worse."

"Really?" I look over at Mephisto. "What... what exactly happens?"