Chapter 49- Retribution

I can feel Mephisto's heart beating against me.

It's a steady pace. And it eases me.

The touch of his skin is all it takes. A glance into his eyes...

The gleam of his smile.

I hold on even tighter, feeling as if I loosen up in anyway, he'll slip right through my fingertips again.

We stand here incased in each other's arms, paying attention to nothing else around us.

Although we should, all I want is to focus on him right now.

I look up into his eyes and smile, placing my hand on his cheek as I feel his fair skin.

"I missed your beautiful face so much..." He gently kisses my cheek and works his way down to my neck. "And to think I could've gone a day without seeing it again."

I laugh and melt into him, clenching his coat in my hands. "Still... you know the right things to say to me."

He looks down and touches his fingers to my necklace, smiling as he looks back up into my eyes.

He leans in and kisses me, his soft lips brushing against mine as he holds me to him.

I kiss him back passionately, smiling when I hear him groan with pleasure.

I pull away just so I can see his eyes again, his smile, his everything...

But there are so many things I want to say to him, so many things I want to ask.

I want to ask how he's been, if he's okay, and if everyone else is safe...

And I want to tell him I love him until my voice runs out.

But unfortunately, our small alotted time is over.

He notes my expression before I have to say a word, slowly pulling away from me.

They're here... aren't they?

I nod my head, sighing deeply when I feel his fingers intertwining with mine. Suddenly the recollection of everything that had just happened to me pours back into my mind.

I'm not going to fail you again, Judi. I'll get us out of here.

I look up at him, puzzled.

Failed me?

Mephisto... you-

"How sweet."

Lucifer's boastful voices stops Mephisto and I.

We both spin and look behind me to see Lucifer standing broadly with a smirk on his face. He has his arm around Bella, holding up her still shivering and sickly body.

"This is a big surprise, brother." He smiles and slowly begins to walk towards us. "I never thought I'd see you down here on Gehenna's soil ever again."

"Well, I don't plan to stay for long." Mephisto retorts, his grasp on my hand becoming tighter. "And neither does Judi."

"Is that really your call to make, Samael?" Lucifer sighs, looking down at Bella. She scoffs and spits blood onto the floor, the blood sizzling into smoke as soon as it lands. "Right, Bella? What was it that my father said...?"

Mephisto clenches his teeth.

That's right. Satan said that if Mephisto set foot down here, he'd kill me.

But... Mephisto wouldn't come down here if he didn't plan on leaving with me. How is he going to-?

"I'm fully aware of the guidelines our dear father has laid out for me, Lucifer." Mephisto scoffs. "But that doesn't change my goal in the slightest way."