Chapter 77

Judi Rilegeki's Point of View

Mephisto stares at me ardently.

I raise an eyebrow. "Mephisto? What about her?"

He licks his lips and looks down.

"Did something happen?!" I ask frantically. I can feel my flames boiling in the palms of my hands.

"No, no, no..." He holds my hands and cools them down. "Nothing bad... nothing bad, at all."

"Then what is it?" I whimper.

"Well... you know, your mother had a lot of admirable characteristics." He says. "She was brave, humorous, courageous, loyal, hardworking, and... damn good at keeping a secret."

"Secret?" I furrow my eyebrows. "What secret?"

"She, uh..." He smiles from the side of his mouth. "She always did have that sort of... angelic vibe, didn't she?"

I stare at him, my expression blank. "Angelic-?"

Everything that happened in that hospital room suddenly pours into my mind.

Her words, her smile... the light.

I widen my eyes and stand. "Wait... wait. Are... are you telling me that she's...?"

He stands with me and laughs.

"Jennifer Takashi is an Angel."

I gulp and feel myself stiffening.

"W-what?" My hands begin to shake. "How do you... how do you know?"

"Yukio was analyzing her blood work, and after combining those results and learning of what she said to you in the hospital room, and with the light..." He nods his head and smiles. "She's an Angel. And she's simply returned to her domain."

"Oh my god." Tears begin to fall from my eyes as I smile ear to ear. "You're... you're kidding me?!"

He shakes his head and smiles. "No. It's true. As true as it'll ever be."

"Mephisto..." I stand there, my eyes about to pop out of my head as I take what he's said in full.

I don't even know what to say.

"Does that..." I grab onto his arm. "That means she was dead long before I was born. If she's been living as an Angel on Assiah for 22 years now... when did she really die?!"

He smiles and kisses my cheek. "I guess you'll have to ask her yourself."

He catches my attention. "What do you mean?"

"Yukio told me that some are able to visit Heaven in their dreams and speak to their lost loved ones." He explains. "It probably won't be as easy for you, being a descendant from Hell and all, but..."

He moves my hair behind my ear.

"We're going to make it work."

I smile and jump into his arms. He spins me around and laughs, embracing me entirely with his love and warmth.

I shake my head and hold his face in my hands. "This... this can't be happening. How... how is this happening, Mephisto?!"

"There... is actually another thing I also have to mention."

"What is it?" I ask eagerly, pulling on his coat.

He sighs and smiles at me.

"The light, Judi."