Chapter 83

Mephisto Pheles' Point of View

8:46 p.m.

I clutch my phone in my mind tightly, waiting for Bella's call.

Her and... whoever she's with should be there by now.

It's been nearly an entire day since I've last heard from her.

Maybe she already found him.

And he's already killed her.

I shake my head and open my eyes, deciding to keep my mind off of it.

There is no reception out here in this rural area of Japan, so I haven't been able to talk to Judi in two days.

If I were able to just hear even one word from her, it would be enough to relieve me of all stress.

I just miss her. A lot.

I'm so used to always knowing where she is, and I'm always able to be with her and hold her and-

"Mephisto, you've got that look on your face again."

I look over and see Shura staring at me, her eyebrow raised.

I exhale sharply, folding my arms across my chest. "What look?"

"That look you always have whenever you're stressed out. It's actually kinda scary with you being all on edge..." She says. "Because, you know... you could literally kill every single one of us in this car if you wanted to."

I scoff. "Well, thank god I don't want to, right?" 

"Sure, thank god for lots of things, Demon King." Shura laughs. "But seriously... if it's Azazel you're worried about, you shouldn't be. You're stronger than him, Mephisto. Hell, you could even end his life right there if you-"

"I couldn't give a single solitary shit about my dear brother's being." I correct Shura before she can continue speaking. 

She pauses and nods her head.

"Oh, of course." She smirks. "It's Judi you're freaking out about."

"Judi becomes more susceptible to reckless decision making when she's on her own." I explain frantically. "What if my Academy is on fire when we get back? What if she's in Tokyo gambling?"

Shura laughs hysterically and throws her arm around me. 

"Judi is as much of an adult as you are. And you're... god, I don't even know how long you've been alive." She adds. "She's probably just sulking because you're not there to tuck her in at night. As any housewife would be."

"Housewife?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Oh, you like the sound of that, don't you?" Shura jokes. 

"Just imagine..." She pulls me to her and stares off into nothing. "Coming home to the scent of a home cooked meal, and Judi leaning over the table placing down plates in her cute little maid's outfit."

I laugh and allow her to continue, mainly because it's a very satisfying image.

"She sees you from the corner of her eye and dances over to you, kissing you tenderly on the cheek." She continues. "'Welcome home, husband!', she'll say. And then you allow her to walk in front of you just so you can get a nice view from the back."

"And after you're done eating, she serves you dessert." Her voice becomes sensual. "But it's not cake you're having, Mephisto Pheles, it's-"

"I'll stop you right there." I cut her off, smiling from the corner of my mouth. "But thank you for that... refreshing picture."