Chapter 8

"Alright! If you were following my instructions, you are all ready to begin the hunt!" Yukio yells, halting everyone's conversations.

Shit.

I have no idea what we're going to do. I probably should have listened and tried to be productive... but I guess it was inevitable?

"Today we will be facing a small population of Garthrands-" Yukio begins.

"Garthrands?" Bon interrupts, his loud voice immediately causing Yukio's to silence. "You're joking right, Mr. Okumura?"

"...What's a Garthrand?" I ask Mephisto in a small voice.

"They're demons that look just like humans and even have the same mannerisms sometimes," Mephisto says. "They easily camoflauge with normal people, and once they get close enough, they attack their victims. They're horrendously vicious at a time like this."

I gulp. "Oh, wow."

"I wouldn't worry. You'll be fine." I feel his arm wrap around my shoulders. "And I know that Yukio would never expose one of his students to such a violent environment."

"Oh really?" I laugh, looking up at him. I always have to look up at him since he's so tall compared to me. "Shura told me all about what happened last year at this school."

Mephisto looks at me. "Okay, Yukio wouldn't expose his students by choice."

I smile a little bit.

"On this particular hunt, each pair will have to inihilate and bring back the carcass of 10 Garthrands. Any less than that amount will affect our decision of your promotion from Exwire to a higher level. If you feel that you are in danger and are unable to handle the intensity of this mission, you are more than welcome to blow the safety whistle distributed to you. But again, blowing this whistle will alter our decisions on your promotion."

Everyone murmurs and talks amongst themselves. I can tell they all feel nervous... and I'm not gonna lie, maybe me too.

"Another thing I want to add before we begin..." Yukio exclaims, removing his coat and tossing it on the ground. "This forest has been set up with artificial landforms such as large hills, swamps, and on occasion, mountains of all kinds. I will designate each pair to a different sector of the map, and you will hunt the Garthrands in that assigned area."

Everyone nods their head.

"Rin and Shiemi will take the first sector, the hills.

Shura and I will take the second, the swamps.

Shima and Koneko will take the third, the plains.

Bon and Amaimon will take the fourth, the rainforest-"

All of his hear Bon groan out loud. If I were in his postition, I would feel the same way.

"Izumo and Takara will take the fifth, the riverside-"

Takara? I look over and see a small, frail boy with closed eyes and a puppet on his hand. Weird... I've never seen him before.

"I wouldn't think much of him," Mephisto whispers, probably noting my confusion.

"And finally, Mephisto and Judi will take the sixth... the mountains."

Good Lord.

If there is one thing I'm afraid of, it's heights. I have a deathly fear of heights, and I don't know why.

Each pair, including Mephisto and I, walk to our assigned sectors. They are divided evenly, so our section isn't hard to find.

Although anyone could see the mountains from a mile away.