Chapter 10

"She's gonna kill me, she's gonna kill me, she is so gonna kill me." I say frantically, pacing across his office.

"She wouldn't kill her best friend, I'm sure." Mephisto says, stopping me by standing right in front of me. "And I wouldn't allow it to happen anyways."

"Yeah, I guess..." I look up at him and laugh. "W-what are we even doing?"

He smiles. "I don't know, you tell me."

"I mean, this is your place... shouldn't it be the other way around?" I smirk.

He nods his head. "I suppose, but I believe it's what the lady wants."

"What if the lady is unsure what she wants?"

Mephisto cocks his head. "I'm sure a lady like you always knows what she wants."

I feel my body beginning to tense up. Jesus Christ, why does this always happen?

"It's either that..." He takes my hand into his. "Or I just know you all too well."

His fingers intertwine with mine.

I feel like if I don't say something now, I'll be too tempted to kiss him.

"Your brother." I say, my voice concerned. "W-we left him there with all of the Cram kids..."

Mephisto smiles. "That's nothing to worry about. His soul follows me everywhere when he's not in confinement. After all, I am the caretaker."

"Wait... so he's here right now?"

Mephisto nods his head. "But he won't be bothering us if he knows what is good for him."

"I see."

"Let's sit," Mephisto leads me to a large, elegantly decorated couch. The fabric has dark yellow and red stripes, and feels like pure silk.

I wonder how he has all of these things...

We sit next to each other in the center. Mephisto is tall, so sitting next to him makes me feel tiny.

I mean, I kind of am, but I'm not abnormally short, either.

"You know..." I twiddle my thumbs in front of me. "Just because you were 'figuring things out'... that wasn't an excuse to not speak with me for two whole weeks."

Mephisto looks at me. "Judi, I-"

"I don't mean to sound like such a girl, but..." I face him. "I just don't understand."

"I know, and I apologize. While it was prolonged... I think it was something neccesary for me."

I bury my face into my knees. "God, why did I even bring this up?"

"Because it's troubling you. It's normal to want to talk about things that are troubling you."

"It's not troubling me!" I argue.

Mephisto smiles. "Oh, isn't it?"

I sigh and turn away from him. "Think what you want, Mephisto. You do it a lot anyays."

Mephisto moves closer to me and turns his body so he's facing me.

I turn back and look at him. His overall appearance... his handsome face, his hazy green eyes, his violet hair, his outfit, his smile... all of it together makes me feel... feel... different. And happy. Something I have never gotten out of someone else.

I sigh, "I know you're going to argue against me, but I-"

"It was you." He says quickly, cutting me off.