Chapter 63

Mephisto Pheles' Point of View

~

My shoes click against the marble floor, echoing against the walls the closer I get to the door.

The Vatican Headquarters isn't a very profound building, but the placement of the Courthouse helps to simplify the placement of the other rooms.

I don't come to the Vatican as often as I used to, and whenever I do, it tends to be the Courthouse.

Except this time, the "meeting" takes place in the Grigori Tower, which isn't much of a common occurance.

Barely anyone ever sees the Grigori Tower, mainly because it is heavily guarded, and the reasons for seeing the Grigori in such a place usually call for something drastic.

So I wonder...

Two Senior Exorcists guide me over to the tower, but their placement tells me they're only here to supervise me.

Two stand behind me, and two stand in front of me... all four of the them with weapons throw over their backs.

I grin.

As if four Exorcists means anything to me.

They lead me into the elevator, and we stay there for a while. The Vatican is a large building, so the Grigori Tower is essentially on the top floor.

All of the Exorcists fidget uncomfortably and clear their throats, the silence becoming unbearable.

"Say, what has you four gentlemen so shooken up?" I say with a smirk.

One of them slowly turns toward me, gulping and smiling nervously.

"N-nothing, Sir. The air in here is just a bit heavy." He says.

"Heavy?" I raise my eyebrows. "Well, if you find the air in the elevator to be heavy, then your feeble body would never be able to set foot into Gehenna."

He presses his lips together, exchanging glances with the other Exorcists.

"I... I never plan to go to Gehenna, Lord Pheles." He replies. "I don't intend to."

"You don't intend to, huh?" I lean against the back wall, causing the two in the back to scurry into the corners. "Well, say a future technical advancement allows humans, in this case Exorcists, to enter Gehenna. Say... there arises missions that will require you to enter the depths of hell. You're telling me, as a Senior Exorcist of high authority... that you wouldn't go?"

"T-that's not what I'm saying, Sir... I just-"

"It's my job to make sure each and every one of you stay on top of your game, no matter if you think the air is too heavy, or the wind is too harsh, or if the blood on your hands is too hot." I fold my arms across my chest. "Choose your words wisely around me, good sir."

He nods his head instantly. "I apologize, Sir."

"You ain't got nothing to apologize for, Ryuga." The Exorcist next to him says. "He's just all pensive cos' that girl of his is becoming one of us. He just tryna weed out all the pussies and perverts before she even puts her goddamn badge on."

I furrow my eyebrows and stand up straight, my eyes locked on the man who just spoke.

He wears the same coat as the others, except he has a stubbly beard and tired eyes.

He scoffs at me and leans against the wall.

I walk over to him and grab him by the neck, squeezing until he begins to choke.