Chapter 85

Mephisto decides to drive us over to the hospital himself, not in his usual pink limo.

But with that time to ourselves, we were able to talk about everything that had been on our minds for these past days.

I suppose that even the very sound of each other's voices was enough for us to forget everything happening if only for one car ride.

When we get to the hospital, it's already dark and the moon has set in.

But with the excitement of having everyone back and being able to be with Mephisto tonight, I don't think I'll be sleeping for a while.

The two of us walk into the civilian hospital, holding each other's hands as we pass by all of the humans.

I'm so used to going to the hospitals connected to The Order, with Exorcists with bloodied aprons running around instead of actual doctors.

So coming here is like a... wake-up call, of sorts.

We approach the front desk, where we are greeted by a cheerful elderly woman.

"Well, hello!" She smiles at us. "Are you lovebirds looking for the motherhood wing?"

I widen my eyes, immediately shaking my head.

"No, no!" I laugh nervously. "I'm... I'm not pregnant."

"Oh, goodness!" She touches my hand. "I apologize. It's just that whenever a young woman like you comes in with her husband, I just always assume they're just lost and came to the wrong wing!"

"I'm... also not her husband." Mephisto smiles. "But I am very much in love with her, so hopefully that makes up for that."

I look over at him, rubbing my thumb on his palm.

I have to keep telling myself over and over...

Let's not rush things.

"It very much does, young man!" She laughs and pats his arm. "But you better start looking for rings now! The more we inch towards Valentines Day, the more rings get preordered each day!"

"But... Valentine's Day isn't for a few months." I say, smiling at how happy this woman is at this hour.

"Oh, I know. But these men around here go crazy for their women!"

"I can't argue with that." Mephisto smiles, squeezing my hand a bit tighter.

"But anyways... goodness, I always talk too much whenever someone comes in." She says. "What is it that I can help you with?"

"We're, uh... actually here to visit another couple that came in around two hours ago." I answer.

"Alrighty! What's their names, hon?"

"I'm not sure if they were able to give their names right away," Mephisto cuts in. "But the woman has red hair and the boy has a gaping wound in the middle of his chest."

"Oh..." Her smile suddenly flattens out. "You are... you are here to visit Bella Fouce and Caedmon Saito?"

"Yes." Mephisto replies. "What floor are they on?"

Her entire disposition changes, and she becomes silent and distant as she flips through a folder.

"Um... they are on Floor 2, Room 6." She looks up at us cautiously.

"Thank you very much," Mephisto smiles at her, tugging me quickly as he walks away.

I grab onto his arm, startled by how quickly he walked away from her.