Drift (Jimin)

i leave for a while and come back with angst? precisely.
———————————————
Third Person
A boy with black hair sits at a dining table, his parents on either side and his sister opposite him. His focus isn't even on the food anymore, but on the muddy shoes left on the shoe rack next to the door. On the end of the rack, a pair of smaller shoes lies dusty and untended to. The sight of the shoes beckons him to a time long lost, a time when they felt spoilt with sunny weather.

A time when running through a meadow and being tackled to the ground by his best friend was nothing short of a grasp away. "(M/n), I'm not going to tell you twice. Eat up." His mother pushes his plate closer, her face is concerned but stoic.

"I'm not really hungry, mom." (M/n) huffs, focusing his eyes back onto the pair of small blue and yellow shoes. His mother averts her gaze to the shoes, her intuition telling her exactly what he thought. "Listen, (M/n). I know you miss him. But Jimin left because this small town life didn't suit him. It's not you, it was never you. I know it's hard but you need to let go."

(M/n) continues to stare idly at the shoes, his neck tense and his mouth jarred shut. He speaks through gritted teeth, "I never gave him those shoes back", a dry chuckle follows softly after. (M/n) mother reaches for his back, her soft hands pat his firm skin as she quietly began to reassure him. "Don't worry my love, you can go upstairs and be alone. I'll bring your food up later." She says in a low tone, her son soon followed by  giving her a small smile and heading up to his bedroom.

The familiar smell of aftershave and the quiet purr of the town outside the open window, along with the cool nightly breeze blowing in gives his room an icy bite, (M/n) likes it like this. The cold room and the warm blanket reminds him of when he once lay in Jimin's arms. It was unspoken, but the love the two shared was beyond the platonic, in fact it was something of a shy romance.

With coy hand holdings and longing looks, the two had the idea of loving eachother boiling up above their heads for years, but it was only when Jimin left did he realise that he had gone away from someone so dear to him. As (M/n) thought it was completely one sided.

The loss of contact card then, at first they tried to call, but soon the dance practices and vocal training and hours upon hours of exercise came, along with the 'sorry, later's, and the 'I just don't have time's. (M/n) understood, of course he did. Jimin was to be an idol.

A damn good one at that.

(M/n) watched on as little concerts with twelve people turned to stadium tours with twelve thousand. As the music videos came and the dances became more complex, as hair colour upon hair colour graced his gorgeous friend's head, and livestream after livestream had him pining for their next video call.

But the calls never came, and pretty soon it seemed that Jimin forgotten all about his small town friend. As (M/n) laid down on his bed, staring up at the coloured LED lights and drowning in his sorrows, his eyes grew tired and started to feel heavier.

He soon got a ping on his phone, and grabbed it to see what was happening. In his head he always wished that ping would have Jimin's name on it, and the contact they lost would soon be repaired, and this time, for the first time in a long time, it was happening.

"Hi, long time no see, I was thinking about you today." It was like he could hear his voice, his endearing voice, pulling him in and pulling him close. "You were? It's been so long, I thought you forgot about me." (M/n) typed out his reply, the sad little voice in his head reading out his text as he typed it.

"Call me. I want to hear your voice, please (M/n). I know I have a lot of explaining to do." Jimin then followed by calling (M/n), his finger hovered over ' decline' before he initially just accepted the call because deep down he knew he wanted to hear Jimin's voice too, not just in a song or an interview, but for him and only him to hear.

"Look, (M/n), I know this isn't going to clear everything up, but I just want to be frank with you because we always dodged this when we talked. At the time that I left, I was scared. Scared because you were a part of me I was ashamed of at first," Jimin went on, (M/n) quietly listened to him talk, it was so unfamiliarly familiar to hear his longtime friend like this again.

"When we were best friends, everything was perfect, so perfect. Until I started to.. feel things for you. I know you reciprocated but it was just so hard to admit how I felt, I had to lock it up as long as we still lived there. I moved to pursue my dreams and to... to not think of you. It's so foolish, and so horrible to think of how I did then, but our little town would never accept if I loved you like how I do, so I had to try and rebuild and be something else." By the end, Jimin's voice cracked in places, and you could tell he felt a lot when he spoke. All (M/n) could utter was, "I understand, I felt the same."

Jimin thankfully took this as enough, and his voice went lower and lower until it was nothing more than a whisper, but still audible through the phone. "I still love you, (M/n). I still want you."

-And then (M/n) woke up, head heavy, eyes teary.  It was nothing but a dream.

—————————————————