Transcript-Interrogation of Tessa O'Dell

Transcript—Interrogation of Tessa O’Dell

Interrogating Officers: Sgt. Eric Renfield, Sgt. Adam Dalton

Location: County Sheriff’s Office

Date: 10/8/2012

Time: 4:10 PM

Dalton: How long have you dated Mr. Gaines?

O’Dell: About two years now.

Dalton: Dallas had a tattoo on his arm that read “Amanda.” Do you know who that is?

O’Dell: That’s Amanda Leward, Dallas’s ex. She disappeared about a year or so before I met him. You [EXPLETIVE DELETED] never solved that one either. Maybe Jonathan Ludarac did that too.

Dalton: Did Mr. Ludarac ever threaten you or Mr. Gaines?

O’Dell: No, not to our faces anyway.

Dalton: Was there any indication that Mr. Ludarac meant you harm?

O’Dell: What do you mean by indication?

Dalton: Threatening actions, aggressive behavior, harassment, things of that nature.

O’Dell: Dallas was afraid of Jonathan Ludarac.

Renfield: For a particular reason?

O’Dell: He scared him.

Renfield: Did Jonathan Ludarac threaten him?

O’Dell: I don’t know. One day, he came home, and I could see he was terrified. Dallas was never scared, except for once when he was on LSD, but that day, he came home and I could tell immediately that something had scared the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] out of him.

Renfield: Did you ask him what he was afraid of?

O’Dell: Yeah, of course. He said he saw Jonathan Ludarac. I asked where, but I don’t remember what he said. I think I asked what happened, and Dallas just goes off, totally loses it. I know that’s the only time I’ve ever seen him cry.

Renfield: Did he say what happened?

O’Dell: He said Jonathan’s face changed, twisted up like a pretzel or some [EXPLETIVE DELETED]. That’s when he starts crying, saying his eyes burned out, and his tongue split. I didn’t know if he meant himself or Jonathan, but then he starts pulling on me and saying I couldn’t let Jonathan get him. I just thought he was on acid again, so I gave him some water and locked him in the bedroom. When I went in there a few hours later, he just left and said he was going to watch some TV, same old Dallas, but whatever Jonathan did that day, it scared the hell out of him.

Dalton: When was this?

O’Dell: A few days ago—four or five. Look, Jonathan Ludarac killed Dallas. I may not be able to prove it, but that’s what happened. Whether you learn it from me or someone else, he’s the one that did it. I know it.

Dalton: That story is not exactly credible evidence, but if he—

O’Dell: Can I go now?