chapter ten

ARIANA'S POV

"Haven't you read the articles?" Ruby questioned making me tense up.

I knew about the articles but I didn't want y/n to know about them.

She looked at me and saw how I went from calm to on edge.

"Ah- um no I haven't seen anything since I've been working," she said slowly still looking at me confused.

I avoided eye contact with her and pretended I was zoning out.

"Well there's photos of you two everywhere, y/n. You have to be more careful when you go out," Ruby told her. I stood up and walked to my room.

I wanted to protect her from the articles.

The things they said were crude. There were photos of us when we went out for dinner, when I picked her up from work and when we kissed before getting in the car.

I didn't want her to feel confronted and uncomfortable with this lifestyle.

I knew she had trouble with it when we were dating so I kept to myself about it.

I sat on my bed and started writing in my journal. I found it therapeutic to write how I was feeling.

It had been a few minutes and I knock sounded at my door.

"Come in," I said softly before y/n opened the door.

I quickly shut my journal and put it back in my bedside table.

"I'm so sorry, y/n. I didn't want you to get upset over the media," I told her, patting the bed beside me.

She walked over and sat beside me. She was facing me but not looking at me.

Her eyes scanned my room and then she looked down.

"I really am sorry. You know how bad they can make it seem. I read a few articles today and it made me upset, I didn't want you to feel that way too," I told her, getting her to look at me. She nodded her head.

"I don't want you to keep things from me," her voice broke as she spoke.

"I promise I won't do it again," I told her with pleading eyes.

She gave me a small smile and looked back down again.

"I'm sorry for my sister," she apologised and I shook my head.

"It's okay," I said before a silence took over for a few seconds.

"I- should go get ready for bed," she told me before making her way out of the room.

Why were things awkward between us?

"Y/n?" I called out before she peeled into the bedroom.

I didn't know why I called her, I just had a sudden urge to. I quickly tried to make something up on the spot.

"Y-you're really beautiful," I said feeling stupid as I said it.

She giggled and blushed hard as she took in my compliment.

"Thank you Ari, but I'm not as beautiful as you," she said before giggling and running away quickly before I could argue against her.

I scoffed before feeling my cheeks heat up.

We both did our nightly routine and laid in bed, reading our books.

After half an hour of reading, she yawned loudly and set her book down.

"Goodnight," she said, kissing my lips gently.

"Goodnight," I smiled, putting my book down too and turning the lights off.