Epilogue

Amani looked around at their smiling guests. The farmhands, the house staff, and Lydia and Benny beamed like two incredibly proud parents. She looked at her mother holding their sleeping son, Theo, in his little kilt that matched his father's. Her brothers were sitting next to her and diligently holding on to Nova who was clad in a burgundy and green tartan bow. Jade and Arthur, Hamdi and Marie were all grinning like school children in their seats.

She looked at Daryl dressed in his finest black and grey kilt. His eyes sparkled with joy as he held the ceremony notes in front of him. Her heart stuttered as the wild horses slowly trotted toward them from the vast meadow. There was no way Van trained them to do this. She knew it happened in The Duke of Aberdeen but those horses didn't bother with people. No one had ever been able to get close to them. Yet, here they were crowding around their small ceremony.

Tears pricked her eyes as she looked up at the sky and a small grin curled over her lips. She looked at Van, who's eyes were shining with unshed tears. "You know, that's your Nana," she whispered.

He nodded and squeezed her hands. "I guess she didn't want to miss this."

One of the horses snorted behind Daryl as if to tell him to begin. His eyes grew wide and a laugh escaped his lips. "Well, our unexpected guests have spoken and since everyone is here, I'd like to welcome you to the union of the hearts and souls of Van and Amani." He began and told their guests the story of how they met and became unlikely friends that turned into an unshakeable bond of love.

Van squeezed her hands and brought them to his lips every so often. Her heart was bursting at the abundance of love and adoration in his eyes.

How the hell did I get so lucky?

She never expected this. She never expected to find herself on this manor with the man she knew she could never live without. Van made sure this wedding was everything she ever wanted. No one had ever paid attention to her the way he did. It made her heart melt at the way he loved her and their son. When she saw him for the first time, deep down she knew he was the one. He stole her heart and claimed her soul with his too caring and too gentle ways that he desperately tried to hide.

"Van and Amani have chosen to recite their own vows for this occasion." Daryl smiled at them.

Amani's eyes grew wide at Van's grinning face. "I-I didn't write any vows," she whispered harshly to him.

He chuckled. "I'm sure you'll know what to say."

"Van, would you like to go first?"

He nodded and his eyes sparkled with joy. "Amani, I pledge to you that yours will be the name I cry aloud in the night and the eyes into which I smile every morning. I pledge to you the first bite from my meat and the first drink from my cup. I pledge to you my living and my dying, each equally in your care. I shall be a shield for your back and you for mine. I shall not slander you, nor you me. I shall honor you above all others and when we quarrel we shall do so in private and tell no strangers our grievances. I pledge my love to you and everything that I own. Our love is never-ending and we will remain, forevermore, equals in our marriage."

Tears pooled in her eyes and her breath hitched in her throat. He recited the Celtic vows that Duke Aiton spoke to Ariana. She couldn't believe he memorized them and he spoke them with such love and commitment. He wasn't just reciting those words. Van meant every one of them.

She choked out a breath and fought a sob rising in her throat. "I-I'm sorry."

He slid his hands to her cheeks and wiped her tears. "It's alright, love."

She took a deep breath and thanked the genius who created waterproof makeup. A watery smile tugged at her lips. She knew exactly what she wanted to say for her vows. "Van, my love, you cannot possess me, for I belong to myself. But while we both wish it, I give you that which is mine to give. You cannot command me, for I am a free woman. But I shall serve you in the way you require and the honeycomb will taste sweeter coming from my hand. I give you my heart and my soul freely, for I know you will cherish and protect me always."

He nodded and a lone tear rolled down his cheek. "That I will, little witch," he whispered.

Daryl placed his hands over theirs and began wrapping burgundy and green twine around them. "Van and Amani, you are forever joined by this twine, by these knots, never to be broken." He looked at Van. "Lord Vanuvius Vasilios Blarque, do you take Amani Alana Blake to be your lawfully wedded wife to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?"

Amani's heart thumped.

Did he say Blarque?

A dazzling smile spread over Van's lips. "I do."

Daryl turned to her with the same question. She stared at Van. He definitely said Blarcum. She must've heard him wrong.

"Amani?" Daryl said and raised his eyebrow, "after those vows, you can't be contemplating this answer."

Van chuckled. "Dear God, I hope not."

The guests around them burst out laughing and a blush burned over Amani's cheeks. "Of course, I do."

"Phew! Alright. Crisis averted, m'Lord." Daryl laughed as he squeezed their hands. "With the power vested in me, I now, happily and gladly, pronounce you Lord and Lady Blarque of Stornoway." He grinned at Van as he slid the rope from their hands. "You may kiss your beautiful wife."

Van slid his hands to her cheeks and wiped her tears. "I love you," he whispered and pressed his lips to hers. She slid her hands up his chest and clenched the lapels of his suit. She ignored the whoops and cheers around them and melted in his embrace as he slipped his tongue in her mouth

A moan escaped her lips at the searing kiss he was laying on her. This was what she had to look forward to for the rest of her life and she was not, nor would she ever be disappointed. There was nowhere she'd rather be than here on this manor with him and their family as Lady Blarque of Stornoway.

She chuckled against his lips and pulled away from him. "Lord and Lady Blarque?" She grinned as a blush stained his cheeks. "When did you change your name?"

"A little while ago. We deserve a fresh start with each other." He smiled and kissed her nose.

She couldn't argue with that logic. She knew his name held a lot of power over him and if changing it to their spliced name made him feel better, why not?

"I love you so much."

"Always and forever, m'Lady."

~ Fin ~