Chapter 44: Van

Van smiled to himself as he put some clothes into an overnight bag. He hadn't felt this light in a long time and talking to Amani felt really good.

Hamdi was the only person he opened up to and it wasn't very often. He didn't like bothering him with his bullshit. Hamdi had enough going on in his crazy world too. His father was retired, but he hadn't stopped dictating what Hamdi did with his life.

It was nice to have a friend who wasn't wrapped up in the Mionlach. Talking to Amani was like drinking a glass of cool, fresh water after a long day in the fields. He didn't know how she did it. That little witch always found a way to diffuse his anger and help him make light of his situation.

Even now, he'd usually be on the verge of another tantrum because he had to socialize with the bloody Mionlach. But not today. Today, he couldn't find his anger. He knew what he had to do this weekend and the thought of Rebecca back in his life— permanently—was a constant jab in the back of his mind.

He wasn't enthused about this at all, but this was as good as it was going to get for him. As long as he kept his manor and Amani as his assistant, he could get through this engagement. He hadn't thought about how he was going to get through this marriage though.

He lifted the bag over his shoulder and he couldn't keep Amani forever. Even if she decided to stay as his assistant, she'd eventually find another job or someone to be with and leave him.

His jaw ticked as he gripped the door handle. He took a deep breath. He wasn't going to think about that right now. Nope. He wasn't going to ruin his mood. He'd deal with that later...much later.

He walked down the hall and twirled his car keys in his hand. Rebecca conveniently decided to host her party at the Fife's estate in Tunga on the small piece of land his family gifted hers when they got engaged the first time. It was only a ten-minute drive and he was glad for it. At least if he got fed up this weekend he could leave when he wanted to.

His steps slowed to a stop as he neared Benny's office. Amani was humming to herself as she scanned some paperwork to her laptop. A smile tugged at his lips as he knocked on the door to get her attention. 

She looked up at him and smiled. "Good morning," She greeted and her smile fell. "Where are you going?"

"I'm off to Rebecca's. It's her party remember?"

"I know that, but it's not until tomorrow. Gerard is scheduled to take you in the morning." She frowned and scrolled through her phone to check his schedule.

"Yes, I know, but Rebecca and my mother want me there today for some kind of media stunt." He rolled his eyes. "We have to look like a happy couple."

"Oh, right. The request just came in now," she murmured. "How are you getting there? I can call Gerard to take you."

"It's fine, Amani. I'm driving. That way I can escape if I need to." He winked at her.

A wink? Really, Blarcum? You're so lame... 

But blushed when she laughed at him. 

Well, she liked it so I must not be that lame.

"That's true. Well, have a good time, I guess and...good luck with your proposal," she said and he swore he heard her mumble, 'I hope she says no.'

"What did you say?" He grinned and a laugh escaping his lips when her eyes grew wide.

"I-I just said good luck."

That's not what you said, little witch.

"Mm, I'll try. Enjoy your weekend, Amani." He chuckled, but he didn't move. He didn't want to leave her.

Oh, fuck. I'm going to miss her.

That was a new feeling. He never missed Rebecca when she went off on her trips.

"Thank you, drive safe," she said and pointed her finger at him. "No driving when you're drunk. I don't care how annoyed you get, stay your ass put."

A blushed stained his cheeks. How would she know that about him? "Has Benny been telling you stories about me?"

She smirked. "No, I came to that conclusion all by myself. Especially after that tantrum yesterday."

"You're never going to let me live that down, are you?" he grumbled, but a smile tugged at his lips at the smarmy grin on her face.

"Never, Lord Blarcum." She chuckled. "You better get going before you're late for your debut with Lady Fife. Mother will be so upset if you fuck up this weekend." She shooed him away.

Too right, little witch.

He had to leave and the last thing he wanted was his mother calling to nag him with threats, but damn it, he wished Amani could come with him. Rebecca didn't want any staff at this party. It was strictly Mionlach and a few select media bloggers and influencers. The only positive about this weekend was Hamdi and Marie would be there tomorrow night too.

"Earth to Blarcum." Amani laughed as she waved her arms.  "You need to go. You're going to be late!"

"Right." He blushed. "I'll see you Sunday," he said and he turned to leave but stopped and looked back at her. "If the Chairman gives you any problems—"

"Go!" she barked and pointed to the door.

"Alright, alright." He laughed as he continued down the hall. She was right, he needed to go, but he never expected to feel so loathe to leave her.

Get it together, Blarcum. It's just the bloody weekend.

He unlocked his black Maserati and threw his bag in the passenger seat. He slid in the car and took a deep breath. He needed to focus. He had to play his part this weekend. His relationship had to look somewhat believable to appease his mother.

He needed to push down these feelings for Amani. He couldn't let her brown eyes, her adorable laugh or those black lace knickers invade his brain. A smile tugged at his lips at the way she called him Blarcum when she was annoyed with him.

"Bloody hell," he growled and shoved the car into gear.

How the fuck am I going to get through this weekend?

He couldn't even get out of the bloody garage without thinking about her.

You're better than this, Blarcum.

His jaw ticked as he reversed out of the garage. He was good at not feeling anything. Once he was with Rebecca, it would be easy to focus on dealing with her. Amani wouldn't be able to plague his mind.

There was nothing to worry about.