Chapter 27: Lady Blarcum

That reclusive son of mine. 

Catriona scowled and slammed her phone on her vanity. He'd gotten his heart broken one time and he shut himself away in that bloody manor. As if he didn't know how the Mionlach worked. She and her late husband, Gaelen Blarcum, used to dominate the Mionlach. They'd run circles around all the powerful families. They'd always secured better business deals and favors than the Abernathys and the Fifes. None of them could match their savoir-faire.

Then Gaelen wanted to have a child. He wanted to carry on his great name and fortune. She went along with it and carried his child for his sake. In all fairness, it made them better together. He was always so proud to have a son to carry on his legacy, but Van wasn't like his father. He was too sweet and too caring. He didn't inherit their tactfulness and he'd never fit in very well with the other offspring in their circle.

He'd always hung around with that Egyptian boy, but even he turned out just like his business mogul father. Why couldn't Van see how important it was to stay relevant and on top of the Mionlach?

It was no good having more money than sense if you didn't have connections to toy with. It was boring, just like that damn farm.

Her beloved Gaelen died before he could really teach Van how to be the cunning and ruthless Blarcum he needed to be. She couldn't be bothered to concern herself with him. She didn't want him to begin with. So, now she just used him as a pawn when she needed him to make an appearance.

She smoothed a piece of her hair and tucked it into the neatly styled bun at the nape of her neck. Van will marry Rebecca Fife and Blarcum Industries will take over all of the Fife's family assets to become the most powerful name in the Mionlach, just like she and Gaelen had always planned.

She picked up her phone and pressed a few buttons. A devilish smiled curled over her lips as she heard the greeting on the other line. "Hi, darling," she purred. "Yes, everything is planned for tomorrow morning. Tell Rebecca that Van can't wait to see her."

She grinned as she listened to her old friend, Gwenivere Fife, tell her about Rebecca's uneasiness about seeing Van again. "Not to worry, Van has forgiven her. He's a bit nervous himself. He said he's been hoping for a meeting like this since he'd heard the news." That little white lie should get Rebecca so excited. She'd dig her ambitious claws into Van and never let him go. Catriona just needed to make sure her stubborn son cooperated.

"Oh, wonderful. I'll see you this evening, Gwen." She smiled and hung up. She knew Van didn't care for Rebecca anymore, but she couldn't afford to let his emotions get in the way of this business plan again.

She dialed another number and waited patiently. "Yes, hello, I called earlier to give you details on a private brunch between Lord Blarcum and Lady Fife," she said as she looked at her perfectly manicured nails. "Oh no, this information comes from a very reliable source. I'll give you precise details as long as you make sure cameras are present and this story is the headline."

The Mionlach loved a good media circus and Rebecca would play her part exceptionally well. She couldn't resist being the center of attention and this little display would put Van back in the center of the social scene. He wouldn't be able to hide away in that God forsaken manor anymore. He'd have to carry this name like he was always meant to.

 He'd have to carry this name like he was always meant to