Chapter 83: Amani

Amani woke to the feel of warm fingers caressing her cheek. She slowly opened her eyes to find Van's emerald orbs staring at her and a slow smile spread across his lips. "Good morning."

"Good morning." she sighed and closed her eyes again with a slight smile on her face. She enjoyed the feel of his arms around her and their naked bodies tangled together.

Naked bodies. Oh fuck.

She groaned and pressed her face into his chest. "We fucked up," she mumbled but couldn't find the strength to untangle herself from him.

What the hell was I thinking? I told myself not to fuck him and what did I do? Exactly that!

He chuckled and kissed her head. "We fucked, yes."

She pushed away from him and looked into his satisfied eyes. "I'm serious, Van. This...this can't happen again. We shouldn't have-oh God." She groaned again.

I'm a slut. I'm acting like a damn side chick-a mistress! I lost all my damn self-control last night.

He slid his fingers to her chin and tilted her face to him. "Do you regret it?"

Fuck no. I don't regret it.

She'd never been with anyone like that before. He did things to her body she'd only fantasized about. Chills sizzled down her spine. He made love to her just like Duke fucking Aiton.

A blushed burned over her cheeks as she shook her head. "No, I don't. I knew what I was doing last night and I want more of this."

"But?"

She held the sheet around her as she sat up and winced at her sore body. "But this doesn't make us any better than Rebecca and Declan." She shook her head. "I don't want to be with you like this. I don't want to sneak around."

He nodded and sat up next to her. "I don't want to be with you like this either." He slid his fingers through hers and brought her hand to his lips. "You're worth more than that, but I could never regret making love to you."

Her heart thumped.

Did he say make love?

That...that wasn't just a fuck for him either. They definitely couldn't do that again. She wouldn't be able to stop herself from admitting that she was in love with him.

"If I'm worth more than that to you, then we have to be friends, Van." She squeezed his hand. "And...and if you want to be together or see what this is between us, then you have to get out of your engagement."

He smiled and slid his hand to her cheek. "I know, little witch. I'm working on it, but can I ask for one thing?"

She raised her eyebrow. "What thing do you want?"

A mischievous gleam twinkled in his eyes and his smile grew even brighter. "The moment we leave this room we're strictly friends, but until we do," he pressed his forehead against hers, "we're free to do as we please."

Shivers ran down her spine straight to her center. How could she resist that bargain, when all she wanted was to feel him inside of her again?

This man is going to be the death of me.

She choked out a laugh as she slid her hands up his hard chest. "That seems fair." She grinned. "But you can't keep me in here all day."

"Mm, I won't do that," he whispered and kissed her softly. She gasped as he trailed his lips down her neck and lifted the sheet over them. "Maybe a few hours," he murmured and slipped his finger into her wet folds.