Chapter 71: Amani

Amani slowly sipped on a glass of wine as she watched the twinkling town below. The pool was finally empty and the house was oddly quiet. She had no idea where everyone went, even Tye was gone. She didn't know what happened after she stormed off that afternoon and she didn't care. She couldn't stand to be around Tye or those fake people anymore.

Tears pricked her eyes. Tye was being so awful to her and today was the worst of it. He'd made another snide comment about her 'lookin' like a wild animal around these elegant folk', and he was all too happy when everyone laughed around him. He wouldn't stop teasing her and picking her apart in front of the Mionlach staff just to get a bigger laugh to feed his ego. Tye didn't care that it made her feel uncomfortable.

Amani wiped a tear rolling down her cheek. Tye never cared. Once he started to build a good reputation in the gang, he turned into a controlling, egotistical douchebag. She thought it was just an act around his boys, but the longer it went on, the more she realized that was who he always was.

She took a long sip from her glass. She had had enough today. She should've punched him in the fucking face but that would've proved his point. That she was wild. So, she didn't give him the satisfaction and walked away. She let out a slow breath. Tye wasn't going to get her to make an ass of herself in front of the pretentious Mionlach staff. Gemma was loving the show. That fake ass bitch. Amani didn't know why any of them were so loyal to their snobby employers. They treated them like servants. It was disgusting.

Amani filled her glass again.

Fuck Tye. Fuck all of them.

She wasn't going to let them get to her. There was only one day left of this shitty vacation. Then Tye would be gone and she could go home.

You can do this, Amani.

She closed her eyes and took another drink from her glass. Nova picked her head up from the side of the pool and her tail began to wag in excitement.

"The elusive little witch has finally come out of her lair." Van chuckled and waded up next to her with a six pack of beer and  another bottle of white wine in his hands. 

She raised an eyebrow as he set the spirits on the ledge of the pool in front of them. "Beer? Where's your whiskey?"

He shrugged. "I wanted something a little lighter. Where's your gin?"

She shrugged. "I wanted something a little lighter." A smile tugged at her lips. She missed him. It felt as if they'd been miles apart these last two days. She didn't know who to thank for everyone miraculously going out tonight, but she was so grateful to them.

"Fair enough," he mumbled. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, now that Tye isn't around me." She sighed. "Where did everyone go?"

Van grinned and took a sip of beer. "I kicked them out. I was getting tired of them."

Her eyes grew wide. "Even Tye?"

"Especially, Tye," he snarled.

Amani frowned. Tye would never leave like that without saying something to her. He wasn't easily swayed or pushed over. "What did you do?"

"What I needed to. Tye won't be contacting you again," he said and slid his hand to her chin. "If he does, you better tell me, little witch. I never want to see you upset like that ever again."

She wanted to be angry with him for dealing with Tye for her, but she couldn't deny the sense of relief that washed over her. "I-I don't know what you said to him, but thank you," she whispered as a lone tear rolled down her cheek. She bit her lip to stop it from trembling and fought the sob burning in her chest.