Chapter 42: Van

Van watched her sputter and fall out of the trough.

Good. How dare she wake me up like that? Who gave her the right...to do...that?

His heart thumped and fear swept over him. He'd never seen that look of death in her eyes.

Oh, Blarcum. You pissed her off now.

She clenched her fist and launched a glob of mud at his face. He was too slow to react to the flying dirt and it splattered across his face. His eyes grew wide as he spat some mud from his mouth and wiped it from his nose.

Did she just throw *mud* at me ?

"Amani..." he growled. 

Who the hell does she think she is?

"No! You're acting like a petulant fucking child!" she yelled and launched another fist full of mud at his chest.

He bent down and scooped up a handful of dirt. "I'm not a child!" he roared and propelled the muck at her.

She wiped her face. "Oh yeah? Who's throwing mud?!" She hit him with another splatter of dirt.

"You are too!" He lobbed another ball of mud at her stomach.

"Only because you're acting like a fucking asshole!" She landed another glob of mud on his shoulder and he winced from the impact of her words.

The little witch is right, Blarcum.

He was being an arse, but it hurt when she said it. He didn't want her to feel that way about him. But why wouldn't she? He'd been ignoring and avoiding her on purpose. He knew it hurt her. He saw the way the honey dimmed in her eyes when he didn't respond to her 'hellos' or 'good mornings.' But he was just trying to protect her.

He dropped the mud from his hand. "I'm not an asshole."

"Oh really? You haven't talked to me in two fucking weeks. That's not being an asshole? I thought we were friends!" she huffed and clenched her fist as she began to pace angrily back and forth. 

"I know," he mumbled.

"Do you? Because I don't think you do. You can't say you want to be friends and then shut me out. If you don't want to see me, fine. But at least answer your Goddamn texts!"

He opened his mouth to explain that he wanted to and he tried to answer her, but kept his mouth shut when she pierced him with a glare.

"That's just being a fucking dick," she spat and slid her hands to her hips. "I know everyone around you lets you get your way and have your petty tantrums, but I'm not like that. I'm not going to let you do this to yourself. I'll call you out on your fucking shit, Blarcum."

"Fucking, temper tantrums," she went on. "If you want me to be your assistant and be your friend, this is how I am. If you don't like it, then fucking fire me because I'm not quitting."

Van let out a breath. He wasn't sure if he wanted to laugh or cry. There were only a few people in his life that would dare speak to him like that and he shouldn't be surprised Amani has become one of them. He never should have ignored her. She was right. He could've just answered her messages or told her why he was avoiding her.

And admit I have *feelings* for her? 

No. He definitely wouldn't tell her why he did this. He looked at her determined cinnamon eyes, but he owed her an apology.

"I'm...I'm sorry, Amani. I didn't want to make you feel that way and I'm not going to fire you."

She let out a breath and threw her head back. "Oh thank God. I figured I might as well go out in a blaze of monologue glory." She breathed and he couldn't help the laugh that burst from his lips.