Chapter 47: Amani

Amani listened to Marie tell her silly stories about Hamdi and Lord Blarcum while they had lunch in a little café. Marie expressed that the two men used to play small pranks on the Mionlach and had once laced the desserts table at one of Lady Pruitt's charity gatherings with cannabis brownies and cookies.

"They sent the whole party into a giggling and paranoid mess!" Marie cried with laughter.

A smile tugged at Amani's lips. "It's nice to know Lord Blarcum used to have a healthy sense of humor."

Marie nodded and wiped her tears. "Yeah those two used to be so much fun. I haven't seen Van that chill in a long time, except for that night at the golf tournament." She smiled. "You really bring out the best in him, you know?"

"I don't think it's me. I'm not anything special." She shrugged. It couldn't be her, but she'd heard that comment from so many of the manor staff. She didn't understand it. She was just being herself. She couldn't possibly have that effect on him.

"You keep telling yourself that," Marie said as she took a bite of her salad and frowned at her phone vibrating next to her plate. She quickly picked it up and cursed.

"What's wrong?" Amani frowned as her watch vibrated on her wrist. She looked at the notification from Lord Blarcum and quickly pulled out her phone to check the message.

"That bitch made him propose today!" Marie exclaimed, but Amani was too busy grinning at the picture message from Lord Blarcum.

Lord B >>So that bloody happened 🤮<< 

The message read with a link to the engagement announcement followed by a picture of Rebecca's ring.

Lord B >>What do you think of the ring? Rebecca and my mother are so pissed 🤣😈<<

Amani burst out laughing as she tapped on the picture and zoomed into the ring on Lady Fife's finger. The diamond was so tiny, it barely stood out in the picture. His mother and Lady Fife must have been fuming! That ring was too simple and boring to live up to their theatrical lifestyles.

Amani >>🤣🤣🤣 I love it! Excellent choice. I hope that wasn't too painful for you...<< 

A sense of relief washed over her that Lord Blarcum didn't give Lady Fife his grandmother's ring. Instead, he chose something menial to give her.

Lord B >> I'll be fine. Don't worry about me. <<

Good.

At least he was doing something to fight back about this. That was such a slap in the face for both of them. She was so proud of him for doing that.

"Why the fuck are you laughing and smiling about this? Van just put a ring on that snake's finger," Marie huffed. "I knew it was going to happen but shit, so soon? Rebecca's a greedy bitch."

Amani shrugged. "Like you said, it was always going to happen. At least I don't have to see him do it now."

Marie raised an eyebrow. "Wait, you knew he was going to propose?"

"Yeah, he was supposed to do it tomorrow, but Lady Fife and his mother clearly had other plans."

"So, that's the real reason you didn't want to go to the party, isn't it?" Marie grinned.

"What? N-no, that's not why. I don't care about that." She laughed and looked away from her. Marie didn't need to know it was killing her to have to witness that proposal.

"I don't know who you're trying to fool." She smirked. "Just admit you like the damn man." 

Amani whipped her head toward her and glared. "I don't like him and even if I did..." She sighed. "What's the point? He's getting married."