Chapter 13: Van

Van stared at her.

What am I supposed to do with her?

He looked at Benny, but he'd already disappeared inside the house. 

I don't want to be around her! 

Van had already told Benny what she needed to know.

"Um, good afternoon, Lord Blarcum." She smiled, trying to start a conversation after their awkward silence. He mentally cringed at her use of his title again. He needed to get over that. She was his assistant and it was perfectly normal for her to call him that.

"Afternoon," he grumbled. "Did you have a good tour?" he said as he turned away from her to carry the saddle into the barn. 

"Yes, you have beautiful land out here," she said and quickly followed after him.

Some of the horses began neighing when they saw him. They were impatiently waiting to be fed. He heard her excited gasp and her laughter filled the room. He turned around to look at her, wondering what could possibly be so funny. His heart stuttered and his eyes grew wide. One of his moodier horses, Charlie, bit the back of her blazer and pulled her to his stall.

"I'm sorry, I haven't fed him yet. He can get a bit," he trailed off, "...impatient." He watched her pet Charlie's nose. The horse's eyes calmed and he bowed his head to her as if he was enjoying the feel of her touch.

A small smile tugged at the corner of Van's lips. Charlie was like him. He didn't like people and he certainly didn't like being touched by them. Van was the only person he'd ever allowed to touch, feed or ride him. His former assistants hated coming into the stable because Charlie would bite them any chance he got.

But he'd clearly taken to Miss Blake.

"You're so pretty, aren't you, Mr. Horse?" 

Her sweet voice knocked him out of his stupor as he watched her pet Charlie. Van cleared his throat and the slight smile disappeared from his face.

Focus, Blarcum. She's your assistant and Charlie is about to nip that delicate hand of hers.

He closed the distance between them and snatched her hand away from Charlie just as he opened his mouth to bite her. Amani gasped and Van waited for her to scream and her tears start to fall. Just like the others.

"It's alri—" he started but was quickly cut off.

"Hey!" she yelled, pointing her finger at Charlie. "That wasn't very nice, mister! I wouldn't bite you!"

Charlie snorted in her face, but took a step back and bowed his head in shame. Van's eyes grew wide and a bark of laughter escaped his lips before he could stop it. The farmhands near the stables stopped to stare inside at the unfamiliar sound.

Amani looked up at him and a blush swelled on her cheeks. Van realized his impulsive behavior and cleared his throat. He let go of her hand and his face returned to its usual grim appearance. "You should be careful around, Charlie. He doesn't like being touched and he's hungry." 

He bent down and grabbed a bucket of oats and apples next to the pen. He looked up at the farmhands still staring inside and glared at them. They quickly straightened and carried on with their work as if nothing had happened.

"Oh, well can...can I feed him?"

What did she just say? 

He stood up and glared at her as if she had two heads. Did she not hear him when he'd said Charlie didn't like being touched?

"What?" 

She pointed to the apples and oats and shrugged. "You said he's hungry, can I feed him? Maybe he'll let me touch him again."