Chapter 84: Van

Van trudged into his office after Benny interrupted the lovely ride he and Amani were on to inform him that his mother had arrived. He didn't understand what could be so damn urgent that he needed to speak to her.  "Mother, what are you doing here?" He sighed and reluctantly took a seat at his desk. 

She smiled and poured herself a cup of tea. "I wanted to see you, dear." A sinister smile spread over her lips. "It's time to set a date for the wedding."

Van stared at her.

Wedding date?

It had only been a month since he'd gotten all that evidence on Rebecca and now his mother wanted to plan the wedding and set a bloody date. He curled his hand into a fist. "No."

"What do you mean, 'no'?" She tut her lips. "You've been engaged for three months now. I want you married so I can finalize the paperwork with the Fifes." Her lips curled into a sinister grin. "I think a nice spring wedding on the manor would be beautiful. I spoke with Gwenivere and Arnold and we agreed on May twenty-third. It's a bank holiday and we'll have three days to celebrate your nuptials. Everyone who's anyone will want an invite to this wedding," she prattled on excitedly.

Pure rage burned through Van's body when she mentioned having the ceremony where the wild horses ran near his Nana's cottage.

How dare she think this wedding is going to take place here?

He would never marry Rebecca in that part of his land. The only woman who deserves that was Amani.

"We're not getting married there," he grumbled. "Not on Nana's land."

She rolled her eyes. "Oh, fine, but you're getting married at the manor. It's important that it's done at here. It will show the Fifes how serious you are about this union."

"I don't care how serious this looks. The wedding is not being held at the manor." He growled and snatched a glass of whiskey from the tea tray.

His mother raised an eyebrow and her eyes darkened in rage. "You will do as I say or this place is mine and that assistant of yours will be on the next flight to the States. My friends in the Home Office will see to that," she snapped. "Do you want that to happen?"

I should just leave. I can take Amani and Nova and just run away. I have enough money. I could pay off the Home Office and we can start a new life far away from his mother and the Mionlach.

His heart sank. He couldn't do that. He couldn't leave Lydia and Benny or the horses. He couldn't leave his Nana's land or his home to his mother. Amani wouldn't want to run either, but he had to protect her.

A grin curved over his mother's lips. "I'll take your silence as a no and you agree to have the wedding here."

"Yes." He had to get out of this God-forsaken marriage. He couldn't do this. He couldn't marry Rebecca, not when he was in love with Amani. He had three months to get out of this.

Is that enough time to get all the evidence and convince Oberman to vote in my favor?

"Good. Now I want you to tell me who the hell Blarque Trust is?"

He frowned.

Blarque Trust?

"What are you talking about?"

"A silent investor has bought nearly five percent of Blarcum shares and I want to know who it is. Are you playing games, Van?"

How the hell would I know about a random silent investor?

"You're the one who has all your friends as silent investors. Why don't you ask them? It's only five percent. What are you so worried about anyway? They can't take your empire with that small number of shares," he said as he downed his glass of whiskey and poured another.