Chapter 68: Van

Van had been waiting patiently for his chance to sneak away from this God forsaken party. Rebecca had been handing him drinks all night that he'd left on tables and dumped in the rubbish. He knew what she was trying to do and it wasn't going to work. He wasn't getting drunk around these people so she could attempt to seduce him for her photo ops.

He checked his phone for the millionth time that day. Amani hadn't answered any of his messages. She hadn't come out of her rooms since this morning after Declan touched her and she, rightfully, punched him in the face.

He chuckled at the memory. Amani had an excellent right hook and the shocked look on Declan's face was priceless. His little witch wasn't lying when she said she wasn't a delicate flower. Amani could certainly take care of herself. The only reason he pulled her away from Declan was because he wanted to take care of that piece of shite himself. Van told Declan not to lay a finger on her and he didn't listen. So, Van made sure he sent Declan home with more than a broken nose and a bruised eye. He had a few broken ribs too.

Van sighed and smelled the faint scent of marijuana. He frowned and looked around the drunken guests to find the culprit. His eyes traveled up the side of the villa to a balcony at the far end of the house and a smile tugged at his lips. He could just make out Amani's curvy silhouette leaning against the white stone banister. Van looked away from her to find Rebecca through the laughing crowd. She was sat giggling and taking shots in the middle of a group of camera happy socialites and influencers.

This is your chance, Blarcum. I can get the fuck out of here.

He stood and slowly made his exit inside the house. He looked back at the party and Rebecca was still occupied by her fake friends and groupies. He took a deep breath and made his way through the empty house. He was finally free to check on Amani and make sure she was okay.

He tiptoed passed Nova slumbering on the couch in the living room that lead to the balcony where Amani was standing. He quietly slid the French door open and slipped out without the pup noticing he was there.

"So, this is where you've been hiding?" He chuckled and leaned against the banister next to her.

She nodded. "Well, it was a good hiding spot until you found me."

"I didn't mean to ruin it for you. Is that why you haven't been answering my messages?"

She cringed and looked up at him. "I'm sorry about that. I shouldn't have ignored you, but I didn't feel like talking."

"Yeah, I'm sorry for what happened this morning. Declan shouldn't have done that to you. He won't be staying here."

"It's not for you to apologize for, but it's...it's okay." She sighed. "This is why I didn't want to come on this trip. I don't like the Mionlach and I don't like any of their staff. I heard what Lord Abernathy and his friends were saying about me and the other women at Rebecca's party. They make me feel so uncomfortable."

Van's heart sank at her admission. He was being selfish for making her come on this trip with him. He had no idea she'd heard all the vulgar things they were saying about her.

I let Declan off too easy. I should've broken his knees too.

"Amani, I'm so sorry. I didn't know you felt that way. I shouldn't have made you come with me."

She chuckled. "I could've told you, but I know you need a friend here and I haven't been a very good one today. I'm sorry."

"You don't need to apologize. I'm just glad you're alright and you don't need to entertain me. Your presence is enough. I don't blame you for hiding away from those people. They're awful."