Chapter 61: Van

Van had been working through the morning and into the afternoon helping the farmhands secure the barns and stables. He wiped his brow and looked at the sky. The sun was still shining, but he could see the dark clouds rolling over the sea in the distance.

This looks like a bad one.

He did one last sweep of the stables and made sure the horses were settled. He looked at Max, who was leisurely chomping on some hay. He was worried about him the most. Van wasn't sure how he'd fair in this storm.

"You have to look after Max, Charlie. He might not be used to this," he said, petting his mane. Charlie nuzzled his face as if he understood. "Alright, I'll check on you when I can." Van was loath to spend, most likely, the next few days cooped up inside with Rebecca.

It had been easy to ignore her with Hamdi and Marie making sure they did everything she couldn't stand. Van chuckled to himself at the look of utter disgust on Rebecca's face when they rode through the muddy trails.

Usually, she'd refuse to go horseback riding. She hated horses, but since Amani was going, Rebecca was uncharacteristically eager to go on the ride too. He didn't know why she was trying so hard to get on his good side. Rebecca's sneaky charms couldn't seduce him anymore. He was immune to those spurious gestures now.

But it helped having his little witch around for a distraction. Van conveniently rescheduled all the Blarcum Industries meetings to next week so Amani would be here and he could attend them as well.

Van grinned. At least she'd be cooped up inside too. It was too bad there were so many guests visiting. This would be the perfect time to cash in on that promise Amani made to him and he could ask her about what put her in that bad mood she was in.

He started for the manor with a slight smile on his face. Max tugged on the back of his jeans and pulled a pair of gloves out of his back pocket. "Hey! You can't have those!" Van whirled on him and reached for the gloves. Max pulled his head away from him and held the gloves out of his reach.

"You bloody muppet," he grumbled, opening his gate to retrieve the leather riding gloves from him. Max backed away and turned towards Charlie's pen. Charlie popped his head over the side of it and took the gloves from him.

"Okay, you two. Give them back," Van growled.

What the fuck are they doing?

He pushed Max to the side and reached for the gloves in Charlie's mouth. Charlie backed away from him and ambled to the back of his pen.

"Charlie!" Van hissed and jumped over the gate to go after him.

If that bloody horse chews up those gloves, I will seriously consider turning his ass into glue.

Charlie popped his head up from a pile of hay and turned around with Amani's woolly hat and the gloves in his mouth. He slowly bowed his head and dropped them in Van's hands. He laughed at the slightly chewed forest green hat.

When the hell did he get this?

Van sighed in relief at the leather gloves. At least Charlie didn't chew on these before he gave them back. "Thank you, Charlie. I'll make sure Amani gets these."

Charlie nodded and pressed his face against Van's forehead as if to say 'you better'.

"I will, but you two need to cut it out with these antics." He laughed, patting the side of his neck. Max neighed as if he were laughing at him. Van shook his head and locked up their pens. At least Max was content. He'd do just fine in this storm.

Van looked at the gloves in his hand as he walked back to the manor. He'd found his Nana's riding gloves when he was securing the cottage. She made them herself out of leather and Blarcum green and burgundy tartan. They were the perfect size for Amani and his grandma would've been so happy for him to give them to her.