Chapter 36: Van

Van watched Amani smile as she carried their tournament trophy into the airport. She was so damn proud of it. He was pretty proud of it too, but more so, that she was so good at golf. She claimed she'd never played before, but her score was better than average.

A grin spread over his lips. Hamdi was so mad Marie wasn't as skilled as Amani. Marie had such a hard time keeping it together. She kept hitting her ball in the sand, the pond and at one point, they ran out of balls to play with.

He chuckled. But not his little witch. No, she hit her drives like a seasoned pro. He had no idea how she pulled that off, but he wouldn't mind playing with her again. Especially in that skirt she wore. That was a nice memory he'd savor. There was nothing wrong with that. 

Nope. No harm in it.

"Be careful with that, please!" Amani said to the baggage clerk when they picked up the golden trophy on the check-in desk.

"Do you want to take it on the plane with you?" the young woman asked.

Amani's eyes lit up and a wide smile spread across her face. "Can I?"

Van couldn't help the laugh that escaped his lips. She was so bloody weird. The trophy was a gaudy chunk of faux gold and she was acting like it was an Olympic medal.

She glared at him and slid her hands to her hips. "What? It's my first international trophy. It's special."

He laughed even harder. "It's just bloody tat."

She scrunched her face. "You're a jerk." She huffed and walked away from him to the security gate.

He sobered from his laughter and followed after her. If any of his staff spoke to him that way, he wouldn't hesitate to reprimand them. He wasn't sure what changed between them. Maybe it was all the weed and booze, but she felt more like a friend than his assistant now.

Yes, a *friend*, Blarcum.

Friendship was good. Friendship set a good boundary. He'd treat her just like Marie. No more waking up with her in his arms with his hands on her supple ass...or tangled in those soft fucking curls. He watched her settle into her seat and secure their trophy under her feet. He was so lucky she didn't remember the two times it happened.

He looked away from her. He had to stop this attraction to her. If Rebecca suspected his eyes were wandering, she'd tear Amani apart. She was happy to cheat on him, but she was also possessive of him. She threatened to ruin so many budding socialites for daring to speak to him. She could be a very vindictive woman when she wanted something.

He sighed and Rebecca wanted him again. She wouldn't let him go so easily this time and his mother wouldn't let him get out of this marriage again either.

His mother wanted the Fifes' businesses too badly now. It was his parents' life dream to control the most Mionlach assets for as long as he could remember. His mother wasn't going to give up now, not when she was so close to having everything.

That's why I can't have these feelings for Amani.

He wouldn't let his mother or Rebecca do anything to harm her. He'd protect her just like the manor.

Amani started shuffling around next to him and pulled her laptop out of her bag. She hummed to herself as she opened the computer and started tapping on the keys. 

He frowned.

Is she working?

"It's Sunday, Amani. You don't work today." What could be so pressing that she needed to look at her emails?